Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Unsociable? Perhaps


Only a few more days and I'll be off on my cruise. Almost packed but beginning to get a bit apprehensive . I've never been on a cruise and I'm worried about the pretentiousness of it all. Concerned that the experience is going to be little more than that of an upmarket floating holiday camp. The nearest I've ever been to a cruise was many years ago when we sailed from mainland Greece to Crete. We paid so little for the fare, we had to sleep on deck - Two to a sleeping bag.

Here I am going off to see so many places and capital cities and all anyone can say to me is "Have you got a lot of nice dresses? You'll need them for dinner". This is often followed by a grin and a little twinkle in the eyes. What are they talking about? I do have some dresses but it is not the reason I am going on a cruise. I simply didn't want to see the world through a coach window.

"Your evening at the caption's table" What is this all about? Is it meant to make you feel important? How silly.

Last time I went on holiday with two women I got so fed up of strutting along the beach and posing in bars, I went off and joined the local walking club on a very temporary basis. Prior to that, one of the women had instructed me on how to walk along the beach and wiggle my hips in an attempt to get myself noticed. At the back of my mind I was thinking "Piss off - if I want to get myself noticed I'll do it without wiggling my hips".

I want to do my own thing and if there is too much pomp and ceremony I am likely to get off the boat and ask them to pick me up on the way back. I'm not talking posh or putting on a front for anyone. I'm sat here wondering if perhaps I'm protesting too much and that I may have some secret desires. I don't. I'm simply out of place in some types of social settings and I really don't want to be in them too much. I see they have a computer room.

11 comments:

Echomouse said...

Wow. I so relate to this.

I hope you do your own thing on the cruise and where whatever your heart desires. Be your own woman and stand your ground!

I hope you have a wonderful time and see all the sites you want :) Can't wait to hear about it when you return, unless you've managed to rig your GPS thingy to post to your blog...or however that sort of thing gets done.

Anyway, just have your kind of fun and other people be damned!!! :)

Echomouse said...

darnit...where should be WEAR

kat said...

I'll have all my blogging equipment, Echomouse - I'd assumed you were all coming with me. :-)

I'll post the itinerary in a couple of days.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

Kat, don't worry. We've been on several boats through Russia, China, Croatia, Egypt and Spain and Portugal and they have all been informal.

There is a welcome evening from the crew, usually the first night before dinner, but that sitting at the captains table just doesn't happen - honest!

Sometimes the day has been so busy with disembarking and seeing stuff on shore that there's hardly time to change from what we've had on all day.

None of the ones we've been on have had any strutting or posing. Morty and me just can't do that!

Please stop worrying. Do your own thing. There are plenty of spaces on a boat for finding yourself a quiet corner, reading a book, staring out over the water. Just thinking, reflecting. Take a notebook or else go online and send yourself emails as you progress through your exciting journey.

We would never go on a boat that made these awful demands on us. I'm sure this only applies to the huge ocean liners and to a certain age group.

If you have time please post your itinery. We are going to book this journey for summer 2007!

Buggles Balham High Road said...

And Kat - the last boat trip was on the French one with mainly French passengers and they dressed casual, cool and chic -not one posh frock in sight.

Dakota said...

Kat, do your own thing and be who you want to be. It’s your holiday after all. I’ve been on a few cruises and it’s just like Morning-loves-it says… most of the time it’s laidback and informal. Not at all like “The Love Boat” ;) Okay, some of the Caribbean cruises are, but you are not going there, so……hurrah :)

pal said...

Perhaps you could compare your apprehension to stage fright. Its good you can worry about things before you go as you can formulate a coping strategy if things do go pear shaped. But they wont!

When the time comes, the gang plank stowed and your trip starts, I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Just do your own thing. Have a great time.

pal said...

Just do your own thing. Have a great time.

pal said...

Ooh sorry, don't know why you got that echo. Reinforcing the point perhaps :-)

I've discovered 'My News' and RSS feeds in Flock absolutely brilliant if you find yourself short of time while you are away! Although I have to say I've been a bit enthusiastic with mine and seem to have most of the BBC and the worlds press on tap! :-)

kat said...

Pal, If you put the whole of the Internet into your newsreader you may find that there isn't a lot to be gained from having one. :-))))

Morning-loves-it and Dakota. Thanks - I won't worry.

Squid - You are always trying to get off. :-)

jac said...

Almost all the time I am travelling in different modes of trasportations.

If I want,(thats what I do most of the times)I can sit in a corner and muse loudly or write somenthing.
Of course the co-passengers looks, just once curiously and then they leave you alone thinking that you are a henpecked hubby.haha