Monday, August 21, 2006

Rough Notes - Cruise

20 August 06
The coach didn't turn up! I am not joking. The coach did not turn up. The driver got the wrong date. People from all over the North West were piled into taxis and mini-buses. One man traveled with a suitcase on his lap. Gill and I were sat in the front of a mini-bus with our faces almost pressed against the screen. We eventually got on a coach at Knutsford and then changed at Cambridge. The driver of this coach completely forgot the health and safety spiel, reduced us to schooltrip status and spent 10 minutes telling us how to use the toilet correctly but only in an emergency. Men must sit down because of the limited space - Far, far too much information added to this.
I was the youngest person on the bus. Gill said if I felt out of it I could always get myself a grey rinse.
After coping with the long boarding queue we were forced to find our cabin, find some warm clothing and put on our life jackets. We then had to assemble by our lifeboat. Ours is number 10. Our cabin is at the bottom of the boat and in a real emergency there is no way I would go under the waterline to get a lifejacket.

There are a pair of beautiful curtains by the side of my bed but when you open them you are simply faced with the wall. (Inside cabin).

One of the restaurants looks a little too much like a cafeteria so we dined in the posh one. Very nice. Great food. Nice wine.

Went in the duty free shop and got a good bottle of brandy and some cigs - dirt cheap. No Customs at Harwich so I will be able to bring lots home.

21 Aug - so far

Yesterday was hectic but today is very relaxing. We are spending the whole day at sea but the weather is beautiful. Met many great people and having a fantastic time. Lots to do on board.

Tonight is the caption's do and we are supposed to wear ballgowns. Tough - my best frock will have to do.

11 comments:

Lobster Blogster said...

Hope there's still no customs at Harwich when you get back :0)

pal said...

I hope we see a piccie of you in yer frock :-)

Hooray! You'r off and we are in for a travel treat :-)

Dakota said...

Nice way to start your holiday……NOT! But forget about that, you seem to be having a great time now, so let the good times roll :)

pal said...

Reckon the Captain must have swept you off your feet .....

Andre Veloux said...

Hope you are having fun. My mum and dad were serial cruisers (as it were) and dragged me and my sister along for 2 weeks on a boat each year. We always had the cheapest 4 berth cabin in the bowels of the ship as well!

It all used to drive me nuts! Nothing to do all day, but quoits or ping pong. Ponsey dressing up at night and all that meeting the Captain rubbish. And god forbid having to go on an excursion once we did hit land!!!

Having said all that, having grown up I think I would now love a Norwegian fjord type cruise, or the one you are doing, so keep posting.

kat said...

Lobster, remind me not to publish my return date. :-)
Pal - I'll post some scenery pics later when we get a network signal on the phones. Can't transfer pics in the ship's Internet room. No usb ports - the computers are locked up in cupboards.Did someone tell them I was onboard?
Dakota - I am having a great time - thanks
trt - choloholics do, tonight. Should I go or shouldn't I.
Andre - I have already tried to think how I could possibly afford to do the Norwegian fjords. We tried to book that this year but is was fully booked up.

pal said...

What is the point of having computers locked in cupboards! Glad you are able to do a workaround :-)

Look forward to scenery pics...

Echomouse said...

Ok, I had to read this twice to figure out the bit about your cabin being at the bottom of the boat...lol I was worried there for a minute.

Glad you're on board and having fun. Can't wait to hear about your ballgown ;) lol

Buggles Balham High Road said...

Oh Kat! At the bottom of the boat, the lifjeacket routine and getting a grey rinse!!!!!

I am laughing muchly.


Photos are beautiful. Keep posting please.

jac said...

What is a ball gown ?

kat said...

jac - It is a long fancy dress for formal social occasions