Saturday, March 04, 2006

Glasson Dock and the Lancaster Canal




Today's walk around Glasson Dock and the Lancaster Canal did not go as planned. I had mapped out the route and set the GPS only to discover, part way round, that some of the tow path had been temporarily closed - Not to open again until April. You would have thought they'd have put a sign up at the beginning of the tow path, instead of letting people walk two miles before discovering they can't get any further, but I suppose that is expecting too much. We had to walk back the way we came and then pick another route in the direction of Lancaster. It was a beautiful sun shiny day but freezing. Part of the canal was frozen and the ducks were sliding all over the place. Some of the smaller lanes and paths were still covered in snow.







Another swan but this Swan is the pub.




8 comments:

b o o said...

love the ripple on the water in that lone swan pic.

pal said...

It sounds like a gorgeous walk. Lovely photos they remind me it is sometime since I've been along our local tow path, it is another world.

Rob said...

At least the GPS found the pub...

kat said...

Boo - I think the swan kept swimming round that little bit to stop it from freezing up.

Pal - All tow paths make for lovely walks.

Rob - My GPS knows where all the pubs are.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Looks like another lovely walk - the "path closed half way along" experience has happened to us on a few occassions as well. We've just done a couple of extended walks in York this weekend. Must get further afield next Sunday !

jac said...

There, you have some lovely pics, Kat!

The swan, I love it.

kat said...

I've just realised something. The pub wasn't called "The Swan". It's "The Stork". Who cares. :-)

pal said...

The Stork! Goes to show just how observant we all are - or maybe we are just being polite. :-)