Saturday, March 25, 2006
Computer Magazines
Very occasionally I buy a computer magazine but can rarely do so without being the subject of abuse or ridicule - As happened this morning. Sometimes people stare and look me up and down but it often goes much further than that. It doesn't seem to matter where I go to buy these magazines they are almost invariably in or very near the men's section and it can be embarassing. As I approach, many of the men back off and I can see them hiding in the corners waiting for me to disappear. It's obvious what they want to browse. Some people walk past and tut at me - THEY TUT! What right have they to tut at me? They don't know what I am looking at and obviously haven't got a brain to engage.
Sometimes when people see me in the queue, or on a bus or anywhere at all for that matter, with one of these magazines, they laugh out loud and make some daft comment. Sometimes they break into conversation about how annoying and stupid computers are. If they've seen me before they may approach and ask for advice re their own computer problems.
I would get a subscription but don't necessarily want a magazine every month.
Some people object to me having a computer magazine but surprisingly don't mind me reading anything else. It is apparently unsociable. I'll get myself a brown paper bag and live in it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I get most of my computer-related news from RSS feeds, I find that magazines are unsurprisingly a month or two behind the latest news. And I can't click any links or search content easily. I can't believe I just said that, well, at least I am a child of my time ;)
That's the most bizarre thing I've heard. I say hit them over the head with your magazine from now on! lol
Seriously, I browse the computer mag section at the bookstore on occasion. There are always men there. They never look twice at me. And i've never had anyone make comments when I'm reading one.
I wonder why people do this to you. It's not very nice of them. It's weird too.
Post a Comment