Monday, October 10, 2005

Body Language at its Best


Traveling to work this afternoon made me realize just how much I make use of body language.

I’ll set the scene. I work in a number of different places and three of them are on exactly the same route until the last 2 miles when the wrong turning at a set of traffic lights leads to complete disaster. It is hard to get it right, because the car seems to have a mind of its own and it doesn’t always get in the correct lane on the right day. Today was one of those days. I found myself at the traffic lights in the right hand lane instead of the left. What could I do?

This:

I waved my arms and hands around until I got the attention of the man on my left. I then deliberately put on a very sad face, pointed to the left exit and pretended to cry. He laughed, smiled and then winked. When the traffic lights changed, he held back and let me into the left hand lane. I gave him a big cheery smile and a wave.

Come to think of it, I often exaggerate facial expressions in order to get my own way. I suppose that’s why I’ve got all these lines on my face – I deserve them! I might have to consider keeping a very straight face, with big wide eyes just so I can keep the problem from getting any worse.

8 comments:

kat said...

No my picture isn't on the page. I don't want to spoil it. :-)

I'm not very wrinkly. Just getting a little bit older that's all. Having said that, I've had worry lines printed into my forehead since I was a kid.

pal said...

Perhaps consider joining me in having a look at the Thinking about doing a bit of Botox Club ? .......

I'd jump at it for the results. But I'm held back not only by a dislike of needles but also the thought of pumping all that poison into my forehead is scarey!

The other alternative I suppose is Wear your lines with pride :-)

Ho hum

kat said...

I hadn't heard of Botox until a few weeks ago. I live in my own world sometimes and ignore the rest of it. :-)
I think I need to buy a few women's magazines or something but they cost a fortune and there doesn't seem to be much in them. I suppose I would get to hear a lot more if I visited such places as the hairdressers but I just nip round to the barber's and he cuts my hair. I hear all sorts of interesting stuff in there but not about Botox. ;-)

pal said...

I think it was Morning-loves-it that was saying dentists are going to go into giving Botox injections - you never know, your barber may have another string to his bow. Bet if you asked him he would have a view!

kat said...

The barber has a view on anything and everything. It usually starts with 'Blooooooooooooody Hell. Have you heard about.........'

Nogbad said...

Kat - trying hard to believe that a fat, greying bloke just entering the middle years would get away with as much as an attractive blonde. Just musing here and I'm clearly not able to carry out any testing on this as I'm a young and nubile 30 something. Damn, I think that mirror needs a wipe.

kat said...

:-)) I don't think being 30 something is all it's cracked up to be. I've been there and it wasn't.

jac said...

Why am I not on your left ? I was watching you from your right. You didn't watch my expression, I was furious at myself for being on your right. he he