Sunday, September 25, 2005

Walking in Lancashire

Walk 20. Garstang and Nicky Nook

Distance: 9 miles but we actually walked 11 miles. This was due to the cow detours. I can't and will not walk through a field of cows.

Weather. Some rain, some sunshine. Warm enough to walk without a coat.



I took the above picture whilst sitting down and just before I took the boots off for good. My old boots collapsed last week and I got these expensive boots back out of the cupboard. They were in the cupboard because I considered them to be uncomfortable. It is a pity I hadn't remembered just how uncomfortable they were. I walked the last 5 miles through and over stones, rough ground, thistles, mud, water and grass in my bare feet. I would rather walk on nails than in these boots. Blisters I can stand but toe crushing is unbearable.

















No, I am not being brave. There was an electric fence between me and these cows. Shortly after taking this picture the cows all bolted and my sister pointed out that they were being chased by a bull. I didn't hang around to see what happened next. It's not the time of year for bulls to be chasing cows, is it?

















My sister was navigating from the book, I was checking all paths and directions on the GPS. We managed okay, but it took a long time to actually get out of Garstang and on to the right path.

After finishing the walk we took another little stroll to the Wheatsheaf pub.

19 comments:

Echomouse said...

Funny, those boots look the same as my own which also hurt like hell. I hope you get some new ones for your next hike. I envy your trek!! Sounds fabulous.

p.s. I wouldnt' cross the cow field either, electric fence or no.

Wendy said...

what a great day! Yes, I too have seen the horror that is ill fitting hiking boots. Black toenails and all. Great fun though!

Wendy said...

oh, and see! I told you about the damn bulls! They are mean and want revenge for years of repression.

kat said...

Echo Mouse, Wendy

I will be looking to get some new boots this week. Both big toes are swollen this morning. I don't know what is wrong with the boots. They are big enough and there is room inside them. I think it is due to the fact that they are so rigid. When I try to flex my feet inside them I meet up with a lot of resistance. The soles are rock solid and unbendable.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

Lovely photos Kat.

A baby cow once began to eat my skirt and I was still wearing it. I never go through a herd of cows now.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! 11 miles.. wow. I hope you have some time to rest your feet!

:)

kat said...

Morning loves it, When out on a camping trip, my niece who is a brownie/guide leader, and who is also scared of cows, came across a choking cow by the side of a fence. Not wishing to see the cow choke to death she put her arm down its throat and pulled out a pair of ladies tights. No one knows how it managed to swallow the tights and where they had come from but Danielle got an award for saving a cow's life.

Colleen. No, no time to rest but it is OK, my feet are pretty tough. Well no, they are not pretty but they are tough. :-)

Chiquita. We always go to the pub. :-) I like your new look travel blog by the way.

kat said...

Chiquita - I don't seem to be able to add a comment to your blog. Am I doing something wrong or is it not working properly?

Phil said...

Great photo's Kat, looks like a fun time.
Q: How do you keep a cow from charging?
A: Take away their credit card.

kat said...

Hi Phil

Q: What do cows listen to?

A: Moo-sic!

Echomouse said...

Rigidity of the boots is exactly what happened to me. I've had foot surgery so I always look for lots of toe room but despite all the room , they still hurt. I hope you find some new ones that work :)

Love the cow jokes!! lol

Tights stuck in a cow's throat?? wow. There's something I've never heard before.

Echomouse said...

Rigidity of the boots is exactly what happened to me. I've had foot surgery so I always look for lots of toe room but despite all the room , they still hurt. I hope you find some new ones that work :)

Love the cow jokes!! lol

Tights stuck in a cow's throat?? wow. There's something I've never heard before.

pal said...

According to a report in the paper you are right to be really wary of cows. A fit and active father was nearly killed by a cow with a calf when he was out walking with his children.

Just had a quick furtle for the link (I love the new tab bit in Firefox) - ah, you can read all about it here

Scarey.

kat said...

Thanks for the link Pal I have noted the following paragraph.

"If you are walking in the countryside, our advice is: check the field out before you go in; don't walk through a field containing cattle, especially calves; keep your dog on a short leash; and plan your escape route from any field with cattle in."

His children will never forget that. I doubt he will either.

pal said...

No I'm sure none of them could. Seems like pretty common sense advice, the trouble is remembering to follow it when it is a lovely day and you are chatting away etc. etc. .....

Phil said...

We all need to eat more beef!

kat said...

And then the farmers will think that there is a huge demand and rear more cattle. :-) I have nothing against cows, it's just that I'm scared of them. I don't want to share the same field or live in a shed with them.

Anonymous said...

Love the route... looks pretty... might consider it.. whats the route.. and yes i know what you mean about bulls... (scarred childhodd after uncles farm!)

kat said...

Hi anonymous :-)

This was a lovely walk from Garstang around the countryside and the railway. Beautiful views. I followed a map and the route in a book called 'Walking in Lancashire - 40 Walks around the county, by Mary Welsh.