
One of my employers rang today and asked if I had noticed anything wrong with my wage. It turns out that the clerk hadn't bothered to type any of the noughts. There's me putting in all these hours and wondering if I'm earning as much as 2 quid per hour and it turns out that it is exactly what I am earning. When you consider that I put in a good many more hours than I ever get paid for, I really have been working for peanuts. Still, I will get a nice lump sum after Christmas which should bring me back out of the red. I hate money and wish we didn't have to bother with it. I never know who is paying me what, exactly what it is for or even when they are going to pay me. I need the money just as much as anyone else but I hate dealing with it. When you do contract work, here, there and everywhere but get paid through one wages department, is an itemised wage slip too much to ask?
10 comments:
Oh Kat I feel your plea and hear your pain. My two main emplyers screwed up on payment so I was overjoyed to find two virgin credit cards yesterday.
It's great working like you don't need the money but the landlord and ex-wife are far less sanguine...........
I have a couple of unused credit cards. One of them is very pretty. It has an OU shield on it and is covered in little butterflies. It is going to be fluttering all over the place. I can understand anyone making a typing mistake but £2 per hour is less than half the minimum wage and the system should not have accepted it. It could at least have thrown up a little dialogue box with the words 'Are you sure?' or even a great big box with the words 'Check for lost key or missing finger'. :-)
those lazy bastards. glad your getting it all back though :) its like a pseudo-christmas present.
I've just changed my energy suppliers, and received a final bill from the previous ones - Sainsbury's Energy - today. It's for £0.01. That's right - one of your earth pennies...
I'm informed that this amount will be debited from my bank account on or about 30th December 2005. Better check I can afford it...
Rob.
How much does it cost to collect one penny? Already, it has cost them far more than 1p - The cost of the letter alone. Not to mention the cost to the environment? What are companies doing sending out letters for such small amounts? I was once sent a final demand for £0.00 and threatened with court action.
Boo - Yes it will sort out and I will get it after Christmas. I knew that my November wage was wrong but I left it, suspecting that it would eventually upset their system and they would have to sort it out. I can't afford to risk losing money but my time is far more precious - I don't want to waste it on accounting.
GW - Don't let it depress you GW. Rise above it. Money is soooooooo common. :-)
I've got one year of accounts to do urgently and another one fast following and I hate doing them.
The only good thing is that I earned so little that I got all my tax back.
Now I'm changing jobs to become employed it'll be sooo good to just get the same amount, more or less, each month and not have to worry about it all.
Noggers: I went to change my standing order cos the rent's going up in Jan to find the landlord had already done it. I'd have thought that I should be the one to ask MY bank to take MORE money from MY account!
Pyknyk - I don't envy you doing those accounts. Are you paying the landlord by standing order or is it direct debit? In the case of direct debit I think the other party can increase the payment as long as they tell the account holder first.
I hate not having money... that's depressing.
Twixie - yes, it is depressing if you haven't got enough but it is not the answer to everything. In fact having a lot of it attracts the vultures and many people can't deal with it anyway. I was once in the unfortunate position of living with someone who eventually inherited a lot of money. What a bloody nightmare that was!
Post a Comment