Saturday, December 24, 2005
Not having a good time
I've made this post once but it turned to trash just like everything in the last few days. My electricity supply went off not once but a few times during the night and early this morning. It trashed some of the files on my computer. Important files. I always make back ups as I go along but guess what! When I tried to use them the damn electricity went off again and those files turned to trash. I've ended up losing all my work of the last few days apart from a few fragments which I was able to retrieve and piece back together. There were also some files which I had transferred to the web but I had worked on them since then so I had to do that all over again. I made a mad rush for it and tried to do some of the work again but when I came to use Microsoft Office it refused to save the doc file saying that there was already a file of that name. Of course there was already a file of that name. All I was asking it to do was save itself. Save yourself for heavens sake - I need you! When I saved with a different name and tried to open the file up there was nothing there. My next bright idea was to at least print off a fragment I had managed to retrieve but that upset the laser printer and I have had to unplug it. I suspect a lot of people are using up all the worlds resources and cooking their turkey. They have no idea what they have done to me. I am exhausted with it all and fed up. Too tired to go to sleep in fact. Ah well tomorrow is another day and I am going to try to sleep through it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hey! Slow down a minute. There is no problem with your PC. Don't feel like believing me ?...ok
Now try the same things you have done before for one more time. This time do it slowly. It is just that you are in hurry to do all things...kaput, the power goes off and you are upset.
It is the mad rush of holidays, Kat!
Merry Christmas!!!
ohhhh crappppp. So sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will all go better. Just think, in 100 years none of this will matter. Heh.
Merry Christmas!
man do i know what that's like. we had a power outage a few weeks ago and everything went haywire!
merry christmas!
Oh Kat! Surely the good folk of Lancashire aren't cooking turkey yet???
Why not park the work, grab a brandy and chill? Have a good one whatever you do :-)
Ahhhh the joys of having a personal UPS system. Worth investing into if electricity in your area can be unstable. Laptops are also nice by virtue of their internal battery.
I'd suggest downloading a program like Restoration (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html) which is a free lost file scanner... you might get lucky and find a temporary save that was deleted (word saves its files once in a while, and the filenames begin with a tilde (~))
It's a very small chance you'll find anything so do not get your hopes up.
Good luck.
Jac - Merry Christmas to you jac. Unfortunately I've woke up with a bad head and I am still so tired. I'm off back to bed I think. Need to sleep.
Wendy - No it won't matter in 100 years. Puts it in perspective. :-)
Jessie - we don't normally lose the power around here. Beginning to wonder if it was just my house.
Nogbad - the work is parked now. It was an eca and I had to do it again in a mad rush.
Michiel - I have a little program called undelete which finds 'lost' deleted files. It does a good job of finding fragments of stuff but rarely comes up with complete files. I have a look at the program you mention but it is all too late I needed the file yesterday. :-)
Hi Michiel
Yes that looks like a very similar program to the one I already have.
I downloaded that little program Michiel and it is much simpler than the one I already had. Handy to have. Thank you.
I'm sorry about your computer woes! That really is bad news.
Nevertheless,
Merry Christmas, Kat!
Merry Christmas Kat.
I hate naughty computers
Merry Christmas everyone. I've almost sorted out the computer but for some reason it keeps showing hidden and system files even though it has been told not to.
Well glad to be of service :)
It's not a very advanced program but its free and very handy; I carry it on a USB stick wherever I go (with ~20 others)
If you really are living in a area where electricity can be unstable I really advise you to look into UPS systems as they can be life...well, worksavers :P
Post a Comment