Sunday, April 09, 2006

Skippool Creek, Wyre Estuary


Walk 23. ' Walking in Lancahire' by Mary Welsh

Distance: 13km (8 miles)
Terrain: Flat, muddy.
Weather: Fine. Some sunshine.

Not a very exciting walk as the scenery didn't change much. Strangely, we didn't see a single bird or wild animal. We used to sail out of Skippool Creek many years ago. We didn't have a yacht ourselves but my dad used to build and repair them for one of two people so we got to take them out. Fancy testing the seaworthiness of a boat by bunging your children into it and taking them far out into the Irish Sea. Good fun though, except for the time we got caught in a storm and had to bail the water out. The people in our village were never that surprised by what my dad got up to but when he started building a 6 berth yacht they named him Noah. He is now 76 years of age and still has long hair. :-)

Low tide. No chance of sailing anywhere today.



My sister and I had a bit of difficulty in working out the distance and time for part of the walk but we eventually realised why. We obviously have a different outlook and view of our surroundings. Take a look at this map and let me know what you think. When referring to 'the curved area or the bendy bit' my sister meant the area from A to B whereas I had at first assumed she was talking about the area marked C to D. 'Curved areas' and 'bendy bits' are a bit ambiguous.



9 comments:

b o o said...

what a dangerous (for u kids) hobby your papa have! hope your weekend was nice {{kat}}

Anonymous said...

All this talk about 'curved areas' and bendy bits have got me all hot and bothered ;)

bluefluff said...

Oh yuk-yuk-yuk!! That brings back memories of cold, wet, miserable weekends, wellies deep in mud... Mum & Dad used to have a boat, a little cabin cruiser, at Wardley's Creek - just across from Skippool, I think.

kat said...

Boo - Noooooo not too dangerous. You've got to have a little bit of adventure.

Michiel - As long as you are happy that's all that matters. :-)

Bluefluff - What's wrong with wellies? Yes, I think Wardleys Creek is nearby. Don't think I've ever been there though.

jac said...

I wouldn't call it dangerous, would that be adventurous?

kat said...

It was fun Jac. I enjoy sailing

pal said...

sounds like your dad enjoyed it too .... and at least you and your sister are holding the map up the same way, unlike some people .... :-)

bluefluff said...

Nothing wrong with wellies... it was the mud that tried to suck them in *schschlooop*, & clung on to them when I tried to make my escape, & oozed over the tops & made my socks muddy so I got told off on top of being scared stiff & cold, &.... Oh I know, once a wimp always a wimp LOL

kat said...

Squid - No cows around on Saturday - Thank goodnes.

Bluefluff - Yer can always wash yer socks. :-)

Ann and Keith - Hey I like your travel blog. I've only looked at the pictures so far but I'll have a good read later.