Tell a story, especially a long drawn-out or totally fanciful one, as in This author really knows how to spin a yarn, or Whenever he's late he spins some yarn about a crisis. Originally a nautical term dating from about 1800, this expression probably owes its life to the fact that it embodies a double meaning, yarn signifying both "spun fiber" and "a tale."
9 comments:
Okay…. this is kind of strange! I’m at a loss for words :)
She's crocheting herself in to a big sock!!
Okay that made me laugh! lolol
Amazing what artists come up with eh?
I thought of you the minute I saw this video, Echomouse. How are you getting on with the knitting?
so sad & so weird....
A prime candidate foe Pseuds' Corner, I'd say.
I think you are spot on there, Rob.
spin a yarn
Tell a story, especially a long drawn-out or totally fanciful one, as in This author really knows how to spin a yarn, or Whenever he's late he spins some yarn about a crisis. Originally a nautical term dating from about 1800, this expression probably owes its life to the fact that it embodies a double meaning, yarn signifying both "spun fiber" and "a tale."
LOL Kat. I thought of me too. And what might become of me if I don't ease up on my addiction to knitting. lol
I'm now making Mom a sweater. My first sweater ever! I've already screwed up the neckline a bit but everything else seems okay so far. :)
Post a Comment