Saturday, November 19, 2005

Peel Tower

My 12 year old son wanted to visit this tower so that's where we've been this afternoon. He can see the tower from his school and wanted to get a closer look at it. The tower which stands on Holcombe Hill, close to Bury in Lancashire, is a memorial to Sir Robert Peel who was British Prime from December 1834 to April 1835, and again from June 1841 to 29 June 1846. Peel was responsible for the organization of the Metropolitan Police Force.




Although it was a fairly bright afternoon it was a bit nippy and there was some frost on the ground. We didn't have far to walk. It was a fairly steep climb up the little track but the tower is only some 335 metres above sea level. After the walk we drove to Ramsbottom to get a look at the East Lancashire Railway. The line was reopened in 1991. We were in luck - A stream train was at the station.


The train was too big to photograph. Either that or I was just too close to it. :-)




6 comments:

Bill said...

I really like unusual buildings - my ideal home would be a lighthouse!

kat said...

Yes, I would love to live in a lighthouse. I'm sure I could put a decent satellite dish on the top of one of them. :-)

Echomouse said...

You want to hear something cool? In Canada, the City of Toronto has a suburb called Mississauga (pr. Missusawguh). It's the heart of Peel Region. I have never known why it was called Peel Region but I think now I have my answer.

Way cool :) Thanks again Kat. I always learn great stuff from you.

Ladybug said...

that's a really cool building. i love to visit old places. that charm and ambiance that surrounds them really takes you in.

Wendy said...

Wow. I love that tower. Great history as well. Don't see that sort of thin around these parts.

ScaryCheri said...

cool tower! It looks like there's a little tiny Nun standing next to it