Friday, November 18, 2005

Happiness is...............



For the past couple of months I have been working on a couple of part-time contracts with the homeless. One with adults and one with homeless youngsters. This week those contracts came to an end and although I still have plenty of work, I was beginning to feel a bit sad about that. Once you have worked in this area and with these people, it is very difficult to envisage not doing it anymore. Anyway, this afternoon I got an email asking me to go right back on Monday, pending the issue of new contracts. I am very pleased about that. It feels right and it is right.

I am very lucky really. Some days I work in colleges and schools, some days I do private work in posh houses, sometimes I work on this computer and other days I am virtually at street level. Variety really is the spice of life and I like working in different situations with different people. I never know whether I am coming or going or even what bloody day it is sometimes but on the whole I like what I do.

Yesterday I was shopping in Tesco and spotted a pocket size 20 gigabyte removable hard-drive. I wanted it but resisted. This evening, around 9:30, I was sat here thinking ' What would make me really happy right now' . I immediately got in the car and went to Tesco. The thing is, when you are working all over the place, you need your stuff and you never know what else would come in handy or what you may want to take home. I am tired of saying to people 'Oh I have something like that at home. l'll bring it next week' . I have a notebook PC but do not have the time or the will to synchronise everything and I do not always want to carry it about. So happiness is ............. 20 gig in yer pocket and a connection to the net.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Stand by for the flood of "is that 20 gig in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?" type jokes...

Echomouse said...

Kat, if you don't mind my asking, what is your occupation? I'm currently weighing the possibility of becoming a Social Worker and wondering if that's what you do. Your work sounds wonderful and exactly the right amount of variety too.

kat said...

Student, Tutor(IT), Tutor ( family learning but only occasionally), e-guide, mentor and observer. Those are the official titles. Some of my work is described as being in the community, but any job is within the community.
The jobs are not wonderful but on the whole they suit me fine. For the moment anyway.
:-)
If you want to be a social worker echoMouse, go for it. Always be what you want to be - It is important.

Echomouse said...

Thanks Kat :) I don't know if it's feasible. I feel so old at 41 and wonder if it's too late to start over. But I might give it a shot if I can get my health in line.