
I was supposed to be out walking today but I had to cancel. I didn't feel very well yesterday and it eventually turned into a full blown migraine attack. I hadn't had an attack in many months and thought they were all over for good. I have suffered from migraine for nearly 30 years and had assumed and been told they were hormonal. During the last few months I had thought that my hormones were perhaps slinging their hook. I should be so lucky.
So what happened yesterday? I had been on a loose kind of Atkins diet and reduced carbohydrates. During that time I was completely free of migraine. During the last few weeks I have added more fruit and chocolate to my diet without any ill effect. Last week I ate a slice of bread and felt headachy. Yesterday I ate 4 slices. I don't know whether it is the yeast or the wheat but I am not eating bread ever again. It could have been worse of course - It could have been chocolate to blame. Red wine has always triggered an instant migraine but I had never considered bread. ( Good job I don't go to Holy Communion )
Yum! Chololate and white wine.
9 comments:
Hope you're feeling a lot better now, Kat.
Migraine is a vicious & badly understood condition (one of my daughters has it). I'm sorry yours paid you another visit just when you thought it was safe :-(
I'm okay now thanks, bluefluff. Just feel totally wiped out. The excruciating pain in the eye, ear, teeth, jaw, neck, shoulder, arm, and the dizziness and sickness are beginning to be a memory. There is never anything wrong with the left side of me.
{{{Kat}}} I've heard about bread causing migraines before so it looks like a possible runner. As you say it's a good job it wasn't the choclate or the white wine!
Hope you are back in full fighting fettle soonest.
Thanks everyone. I slept well last night and I'm fine now. Cheese for lunch. One of my friends gets an almost instant migraine from eating cheese but it's safe for me to eat.
Glad you are feeling better now. Have you had one of those allergy tests? Maybe it would confirm a wheat thingy?
I'm not sure it is worth getting any further allergy tests, at this stage, Pal. If I stop eating bread and cereal and the migraines stop then that's more than good enough for me. I will consider tests if I can't pin it on the bread. I know that I am allergic to grass and to paper but I have acquired some immunity to them both. I am okay with paper so long as it is not wafted around too much and I can sit in the grass but not cut it. I am also allergic to nickel and to many perfumes. I never eat paper, nickel or perfume but wheat of course is a grass. It seems almost obvious now but I just thought I suffered when people all emerged as one, on the first day of spring, and cut the green stuff in their gardens.
At least you have pinpointed it and can take action now.
Kat, I have a friend who gets bad reactions to wheat... or something that is in bread and pasta?
Hope you are feeling better. Migraines are just horrid... you poor thing!
it's possible you could be allergic to the wheat, or glutin. i have a child with migranes, and i get them too. we went to the allergist and had a full scope of testing done and found mine are related to something other than allergies but hers were due to an allergy to carrots, her fav veggie! since we cut them from her diet she hasn't had any attacks! may be worth a visit to the allergist to see what is triggering yours.
Post a Comment