The fish is somewhere between 12 and 14 years old. I am accustomed to it being around, accustomed to it demanding attention, accustomed to it growing bigger and bigger, accustomed to it spitting stones at the glass and accustomed to people coming in my house and saying, "Gosh! I've never seen a fish that big". Of course they have seen a fish that big! It is just that they are not accustomed to seeing such a large fish swimming round someone's kitchen or leaping out of the water and frightening them.
Fish hasn't eaten for over 4 weeks and it is definitely on its way out. It has been struggling to breathe and was holding its head completely out of the water before it became too weak to continue. I got an idea and bought a powerful pump and a large air stone. The fish now sits in the powerful water jet which holds it just below the surface - Fish catches and gulps some of the larger bubbles as they reach the surface. I can't believe that I have gone to the trouble of building a life support system for a fish, but I'm glad that I did. Fish's life is a little more comfortable and every so often it gains the strength to go for a little swim in and around the plants.
I suspect it is dying of old age but I am not sure. About 4 weeks ago it suffered heavy internal bleeding. This wasn't a pretty sight but a little loving care and some antibiotics did the trick. Just as it was getting back on its fins (I couldn't say 'feet', could I?) it got some awful disease and came out in gigantic white spots all over its body. A dose of malachite green cleared that up.
What will I do with a large empty fish tank? The fish will haunt me and the kitchen will never be the same again.
You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
9 comments:
12-14 is a really great age for a goldfish, amazing. Its been with you a long time so its bound to leave a huge gap.
It wont be easy for your son either and he'll have the double wammy of sorrow over the goldfish and sorror at your sorrow. It will be hard. Losing a much loved family pet always it. Sorry for you.
As to what to do with the empty tank - if you decide you want to do something with it other than bury it with the fish in it you could always think about turning tropical.
They wouldn't be the same as your old goldfish, sounds as though nothing could replace that character anyway, so go for something a bit different - little brightly coloured tropical fish.
I am not sure that I would refer to the fish as a much loved family pet - it has been hard work and a nuisance at times - but it has been around a long time and, yes, we will miss it. Over the last few weeks, I have wondered whether I should have the strength and the guts to put it out of its misery. It now has a very real choice of its own. It can sit at the far end of the tank and die (leaving me with the unfortunate task of disposing of it) or it can sit in the jacuzzi and live. It is choosing to live - and still doing the occasional once round the tank. It looks a bit healthier today.
PS. I couldn't bury the tank with the fish - I'd have to dig a 6ft trench. :-))
Wow, now there's food for thought.
My friends have a goldfish that's at least 10 years old!!!
Ah, I've got the answer... Eat it :0]
Digging a 6ft trench would be really good exercise but I think I've read somewhere that most people flush them down the loo to dispose of them, which would certainly be a lot easier and quicker!
Glad he's looking healthier today - maybe he'll confound you and recover!
You are so clever building a life support system for Fish. My son-in-law keeps fish and he will love your story.
How do you dose a fish with antibiotics?
I have this image of people seeing Fish in your kitchen and being startled by his size.
Best wishes to Fish - he's a fighter.
Dogga - Eat it!!! You horrible person. :-)
I've had many a nightmare about people sneaking in my house and eating the fish. I find the frying pan in the sink, fish bones on a plate and an empty fish tank. :-)
Pal - Too big to flush down the loo.
Buggles - The fish has fought off a lot of things over the years, but I don't think it will make it this time.
Wow too big to flush down the loo. He must be big!
Pal - I suppose I could chop it into bits - Oh! This is getting terrible and I couldn't do it in a million years - Not to this fish.
The fish isn't dead yet and it is determined not to die. Long live the fish. :-)
You could buy another one kat.
It eases the troubles and its long way then...
Post a Comment