I have seen tescoply.org but up to now I hadn't been a Tesco hater. :-)
I do think that people should be free to choose where to shop (for whatever reason), and I think it is wrong to try to entice them or keep them by offering reduced education fees. I also think it is wrong for a university to be tied up with or promote one particular supermarket. I can't see why other people can't see that it is wrong and socially unjust. Perhaps they do, but simply don't care.
Mike - there was some debate on the OU tutors' forum about this, and I have to report that I was pretty much a lone voice against the Tesco connection. Most tutors seem to think it's a good idea. A sample of the level of debate: one tutor wrote that it was good to see the OU promoting itself in supermarkets rather than libraries, as supermarkets were where "real people" would be...
It seems to me that marketing departments are taking over the world.
When will they realise that learning is not something to be bought and sold. Neither should it be undertaken as a result of seeing an advert in a supermarket, in a library or on the back of bus!
8 comments:
The plot thickens :0)
Kat - check out http://www.tescopoly.org/
Hi Rob,
I have seen tescoply.org but up to now I hadn't been a Tesco hater. :-)
I do think that people should be free to choose where to shop (for whatever reason), and I think it is wrong to try to entice them or keep them by offering reduced education fees. I also think it is wrong for a university to be tied up with or promote one particular supermarket. I can't see why other people can't see that it is wrong and socially unjust. Perhaps they do, but simply don't care.
PS - I've pressed the 'Take Action' button and will be looking to see what action I can take.
Hi Kat,
Thanks for passing through my blog.
I wonder what do the OU tutors think of the scheme?
Does anyone know?
Mike - there was some debate on the OU tutors' forum about this, and I have to report that I was pretty much a lone voice against the Tesco connection. Most tutors seem to think it's a good idea. A sample of the level of debate: one tutor wrote that it was good to see the OU promoting itself in supermarkets rather than libraries, as supermarkets were where "real people" would be...
LOL
That's such a shame, and so misguided.
It seems to me that marketing departments are taking over the world.
When will they realise that learning is not something to be bought and sold. Neither should it be undertaken as a result of seeing an advert in a supermarket, in a library or on the back of bus!
I think it is safe for me to assume that I will learn far more in a library than I ever will in Tesco.
Post a Comment