I don't want to collect Tesco vouchers. I prefer to support my local shop, whenever possible.
I understand that if I spend £100,000 at Tesco, I will be able to get a 'free' degree with the Open University. I haven't got £100, 000. If I had, I wouldn't need a 'free degree'. Yes, I know that I could spend what little I have at Tesco and put this towards the cost of my courses, but I don't understand why Tesco customers (especially those with the most money and spending power) should have such an advantage within 'Higher Education'. I could continue to pay full price but isn't this somewhat unfair?
I am a very disgruntled and confused OU student who sometimes shops at Tesco but would like to protect the education, equality and freedom of those who don't! ( student = learner, rather than shopper)
If I change my mind, perhaps the OU tutors will be able to advise me on the best way to collect Tesco bonus points or recommend the best products? I can see the possibility of young, naive students asking this question at some point in the future - shudder! Will the OU have a special 'Tesco' phone line or forum?
As an Open University student, I wonder if it is still okay for me to discuss certain things. For instance, is it okay for me to talk about 'unhealthy' or 'unnatural' affiliations!
I am aware that many students disagree with me and are more than happy with this affiliation. Their response - 'I am a loyal Tesco customer and 'I', 'I', 'I'. Well, how jolly 'nice' for you and how sweet - but what about the free market, ethics, morals and other people! Do you really believe that education and big business are the same thing and that they belong in each other's pockets? Shouldn't we be free to look at both sides of any situation, without an obligation to our sponsors? Free to shop wherever we choose - based on our own ethics and loyalties. Should any educational establishment be encouraging people to spend, spend, spend, in one particular store? What about the world's resources? This is somewhat unfair because I know that many of you are concerned about fees, and think this is a case of 'Every little helps'. In response, I think you have been brainwashed. Think about it - 'Every little helps' is a Tesco slogan. Please try to look at it from a wider viewpoint.
The voucher system isn't aimed at existing OU students. It aims to attract new students, but my guess is that many of the existing students will rush to cash in their vouchers. Let's hope they don't bankrupt their university in the process. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
I have nothing more to say on this subject. I haven't got an answer to the 'fees' problem but I am not being paid to provide it. Those who are being paid could take off their accountancy hat for a few minutes and think about the welfare and 'fair education' of the students.
Sell your souls, but you won't get mine!
Link to The Times Higher Education Supplement
.
8 comments:
u tell them. heh. feeling better?
Tesco eh? Taking over the world bit by bit. It's dangerous.
Boo - I have recovered from the flu but not the Tesco thing. :-)
Andre - It is a nightmare for me, Andre, and something I can't easily get my head around.
Made two telephone calls today. One to my child's school and one to the OU. The initial response from both was Er, er, er, er - followed by I'll try and find out for you. Both very polite but a little vague.
You tell 'em girl! :]
No-one will read it, care or change their mind, Dogga. I don't care about that, I just wanted to scream it out. People love Tesco and they like shopping and spending money.
The idea of encouraging it by offering reduced educational fees based on how much you can spend seems perverse. I don't know why they don't make a silly game show - Trolly dash for OU coupons.
Life and education shouldn't be centred round a supermarket, should it?
....but I don't understand why Tesco customers (especially those with the most money and spending power) should have such an advantage within 'Higher Education'. I could continue to pay full price but isn't this somewhat unfair?
The relevant word here is "could". Its not unfair if you have the choice whether to shop at Tesco or not. Even if it were unfair, who says education has to be fair? Academic excellence is founded on elitism and promotion of the best.
Hello Anonymous - that's a pretty name. :-)
Could!
So the OU are encouraging me to shop at Tesco. Is this the job of a university?
Education has never been fair but there is no excuse for not trying to re-address ( hee hee - Freudian slip - send it somewhere else - I've had enough ) redress the balance. To sit back , in the knowledge that you are in a good or the best situation, is to cop out of your social responsibilities. It is selfish, greedy and foolish - you never know what will become of you or how the tide will turn. ( I think the tide will turn on Tesco)
Those who are happy with the scheme now will not be so happy when they realise that is only the rich who could possibly get a "free" education in this way. The voucher scheme offers only peanuts to the rest of us.
(Academic excellence is founded on elitism and promotion of the best.) Ha ha ha - The best at what Anonymous?! The best shopper, perhaps. The Tesco elite - I must be one of them - or have I not spent enough money.
"You currently have: 514 Clubcard points worth £5.00 in Clubcard Vouchers."
Do you really believe that eduction should be cheaper for those with the most to spend? Shouldn't it be the other way round? :-)
Perhaps, we should all sit entrance tests. I bet the ardent Tesco shoppers can add up a pile of vouchers and know what 4 X £2.50 equals.
In truth, the people who don't shop at Tesco are much smarter - they save a fortune on their weekly shopping bill. I am annoyed and upset for the following reasons:
* the OU could be seen as promoting a super giant and putting everyone else at a disadvantage.
* the rich will be able to cash in on this and I am sure they will not fail to do so
* it is of no benefit to those with little money.
* it is a crappy thing to happen to education
* it is plain wrong
What is education, Anonymous?
Post a Comment