Saturday, March 10, 2007

My Child's Education and Me

My son came home from school, on Friday, with a letter from the headteacher. He is essentially asking me to shop at Sainsbury's.

Quote:

Together we can get results.

Your support and commitment will be crucial..........

For every £10 I spend at Sainsbury's, I will get a voucher which can be used towards school equipment. I am asked to spread the word to family, friends and colleagues.

I am now faced with a dilema. Do I support Sainsbury's and my child or Tesco and the Open University?


I do admire the Irish. http://www.commercialfreeeducation.com

The Campaign for Commercial-Free Education will promote student-centred education, media awareness and the democratic mission of schools where students are considered citizens and not consumers.


The distortion of education by a corporate agenda undermines teachers’ status, demeans their privileged position and wastes their time.



Also see

http://www.ericdigests.org/2003-1/schools.htm



http://www.anarkismo.net/newswire.php?story_id=4780


and feed your mind

http://www.thesaintonline.com/news/839355.php



Those seeking a free education, however, will have to do a lot of shopping. A typical degree costs £4,000, meaning £100,000 of shopping - the equivalent of 588,235 tins of Tesco Value Baked Beans. But at least that's the catering sorted.



3 comments:

pal said...

Don't do any of them. I refuse to join in the supermarket merry go round on a couple of grounds (at least):

i. I mislay the card or don't take advantage of the offers in time and end of getting cross about it.

ii. I don't like the thought that my shopping habits are being tracked quite so closely - after all I don't want everyone to know that I buy enough yoghurt each week to bathe in it now do I!

I think its wrong to get children into the loop. If the supermarkets want to give to good causes then they should do so without any of this marketing rigmarole attached.

kat said...

Pal - At Christmas, this school gathered all the parents together and gave us a lecture on commercialism. I tell no word of a lie. They told us ( not asked ) how to bring up our children - free of advertising and supermarket pressures.

I now get a letter from the head, asking me to shop at Sainsbury's and tell everyone I know about it. Unbelievable! I will be looking for an explanation and an assurance that my son will not be involved in any way.

We would have to do thousands of pounds of shopping at this one particular supermarket chain in order to get one free football. Someone has to count all these damn vouchers.

pal said...

A complete U turn since Christmas! I think you are more than entitled to an explanation!