Monday, December 11, 2006

Another Grand Day Out

My walking club meets on the second Sunday in each month and December’s trip was to Ambleside in the Lake District. There were a number of walks to choose from and some of the group opted, initially, for the ever so popular Fairfield Horseshoe. This did not appeal to me - the weather was atrocious. I have all the right gear but when the rain is driving into your face, and you can’t see in front of you, you have to wonder whether it is worth it. The forecast gave wind speeds of up to 60 mph. I’ve hung on to the side of mountains before and it isn’t pleasant.

Although I go out walking with a group, I usually find a way of spending a little time on my own - either by striding out in front or choosing a different route and meeting up later. I decided to make an easy day of it and go it alone. I could walk round the edge of Ambleside and perhaps look round the shops later. The blasted rain drove me back into town and into the shops much sooner than I had planned. A book seller helped me to dry off.

By 2 o’clock, the inside of a pub and half a Guinness seemed tempting but could I, as a women, go into a pub on my own? Sod it! I’m a grown up and grown ups please themselves. I could sit in a corner with my book.

The Golden Rule (pub) was packed! Packed full of my fellow club members! :-)

At 5 o’clock we headed back to the coach for the short journey to another pub and our Christmas dinner.

All in all a very pleasant day, in spite of the weather. (or because of it :-))


My new book – ‘Emotional Intelligence,’ by Daniel Goleman.


Goleman explains why emotional intelligence is more important than I.Q. A person with a high I.Q. is not guaranteed to get on in life, whereas a person with high emotional intelligence is likely to thrive.

The domains of emotional intelligence:

  1. Self-awareness – Recognise a feeling as it happens. Take account of strengths and weaknesses.

  2. Managing emotions – Bounce back

  3. Self-motivation – Delays gratification. Gets into the flow.

  4. Recognises emotions in others – Empathy

  5. Handling relationships – Interacting with others.

People with high emotional intelligence are outgoing, take responsibility, show commitment to people or causes, and have an ethical outlook. They are comfortable with themselves and others and the social universe in which they live.

Emotional intelligence is important in learning, in the workplace, and in the home. It can determine how well a person copes with illness or misfortune.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i fancy a walk myself, maybe this sunday :)

i'm going to search for an EQ test online & see how i make out. i liked what u blogged.

kat said...

Boo - I think it is probably better to think about it yourself rather than take one of those online quizzes. In anycase, I am sure you would come out with a high score.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice time was had, but the weather has been awful recently yes.

I'm all to familiar with the 'Emotional Intelligence' stuff, it's fab :]

kat said...

Dogga,
Yes, I think we are all familiar with it, but it isn't doing me any harm to think about the different domains.

jac said...

Didn't they welcome you when you arrived late ? :)))


I like that part about "managing emotions~bounce back"
And feel absolutely true.

Andre Veloux said...

2-5 in the pub, what kind of drinker are you? Surprised you could walk out of the place!

Anonymous said...

I think you all had a pleasant day because of the weather :)

Thanks for sharing that bit about emotional intelligence. I like what you wrote and I’ll put the book on my ‘to read’ list :)

kat said...

Jac - Yes, they asked why I was late. :-)

Andre - What do you mean 2 - 5? We went on to another pub and didn't leave until 8.

Dakato - I think the carol singers were, perhaps, enjoying themselves a little too much. :-) What makes people think they can sing when they've had a few?

Dotm said...

Sounds like you enjoyed the entire day- the walk and the evening with friends..

Anonymous said...

I love a good hike. I was on top of Mt Washington in New Hampshire once (where the highest wind speed on EARTH was recorded 230+ mph) and the winds were gusting to 80 or so. It was incredible.
I agree with the IQ assessment. I have a sister in law who has a very high IQ but her life is a mess.

kat said...

Dot - Yes, it was a good day.

Phil - Last time I was on the fells in high winds I had to lie face down on the rock to avoid being blown over the side. I must have been there for about 15 mins.