Sunday, October 15, 2006

Merry Christmas ho ho ho.


I am fed up of it already!

Every day, since the beginning of October, I've been getting leaflets, brochures, catalogues, and flyers shoved through my letter box. I haven't asked for any of them and I feel harassed. I don't want tacky xmas items; I will be doing all my shopping at Amazon but not until December.

I have nothing against Christmas providing it confines itself to the few days around the 25th December. The commercialism and the pressure are too stressful. Am I being a misery?

I've tried to think what about Christmas and identify the one thing I do differently from any other time of the year . Here it is - I eat sprouts. Does anyone eat them, other than at Christmas? Why is it that we go without sprouts all year and then come Christmas Day someone piles your plate high with them?

I am going to do something different this year. Instead of buying Christmas baubles, I'm going to thread little bits of string through uncooked sprouts and hang them on the Christmas tree. I reckon this will capture the true spirit and save me a bit of money. With a bit of luck it will prevent my mother or anyone else from cooking them!

As for it being the season of goodwill, I think we should show goodwill to all men ( and more especially to women) all year round.

17 comments:

jac said...

Hey
It is not even November and you are already preparing for Christmas ????

Kat! you must be bored.LOL

Good to see you again after long time.

Anonymous said...

I don’t eat sprouts. I think they are disgusting. Luckily people don’t see them as a festive vegetable here, so you won’t see them on the table on Christmas Day. Hooray!!

I like the idea you have with the uncooked sprouts. Can’t wait to see the end result :)

kat said...

Jac and Dakota - the shops here are already stocking up with Christmas stuff - It is complete madness.

Anonymous said...

i sure hope u don't mean brussel sproutd cuz they look like little rats' brains :p

i like beansprouts, alfafa sprouts etc.

and your last sentence is a good cheer for the holiday :)

kat said...

Boo - Yes, brussel sprouts. They are OK so long as they are cooked properly and there are no more than 4 on the plate. :-)

kat said...

No catalogues this morning but I got a phone call this afternoon - Would I like to take part in a shopping survey? No,thanks - I don't like shopping.

bluefluff said...

Mmm, we had sprouts on Sunday - love 'em! They have to be cooked for no more than 5 minutes tho, otherwise they go all soggy & bitter & bleurgh! We have them at Christmas too, but that's when we do only have about 4 each, cos there's so much else on the plate! Have you tried them lightly chopped with butter & a bit of garlic? Ooh, making myself hungry here :-)

kat said...

Bluefluff - I don't really mind sprouts. It's just that Christmas seems to be the only time they appear on my plate and they have become associated with over indulgence and force feeding. :-)
I don't mind Christmas either but I don't like it starting in October. If I had time I would travel round (door to door) collecting all the unwanted leaflets and catalogues, and then send them back to each company - Without a stamp! At the moment these things are going straight from my front door to the recycle bin.

I haven't tried sprouts with garlic - I might give that a go.

Andre Veloux said...

Funny, my 6 year old doesn't really see it that way!

And sprouts are a way underrated vegetable!

Anonymous said...

I love brussel sprouts. I have a great recipe with blue cheese and chestnuts and sprouts.

But I've really lost all interest in Christmas, except for the time off work. The rabid, insatiable consumerism makes me feel sick.

kat said...

Andre - Christmas is a very nice time for young children and also for their parents but I always found that the long run-up became a little too stressful for my child - so long to wait. Lovely to see the look on a small child's face on Christmas Day though.

Zoom - Yes, it is the consumerism which gets to me too.


Looks like the brussel sprout lovers are coming out in force.
:-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever had sprouts.

I think Christmas commercialism is ridiculous too. Here in the U.S. there are already Christmas items sold in stores. I think it's a little too early for that!! In my opinion, Christmas celebrations should start December 1st... and no sooner.

Granted, I adore Christmas, but still.... :)

kat said...

Colleen - I agree. December the Ist is soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, love it!!!
I think there should be a law, that nothing Christmassy can go on sale until November the first - full stop!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Christmas Tree Hunting Season is upon me yet again. I thought of it this week and then thought of how I traumatized you (almost) last year with the whole tree thing. You'll be glad to know I don't plan on twisting myself inside out over it this year ;)

And the sprouts idea? Brilliant!!! Take photos :)

kat said...

Echomouse - I don't mind the Christmas tree hunting, it is fun, but you can't get one yet - it will be dead by Xmas. :-)

Only kidding about the sprouts - I'd be certified as insane.

Anonymous said...

If you're not gonna do the sprouts, I might. Just for the photo opp if nothing else :) lol