Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Back on the Tops - Langdale, Cumbria

Yesterday, I went out with my old Walking Club, and since I hadn't done any serious walking for some time, was surprised that I made it to the top of Harrison Stickle. The fell is approximately 2,500 feet and the tarn is, I think, at about 1,500 ft. Although not a great height, it was a steep climb both to the tarn and beyond.

Looking down on the tarn.( It wasn't a very clear day but the view wasn't obliterated.)



Start of the Walk - My son shouting, " Put that camera away!'




Luke on the top of Harrison Stickle.




We went round the other side of the mountain and had to walk on the scary path by Dungeon Ghyll. One slip and I would have been gone forever but I was more concerned for my son's safety. The art of mindfullness - it put the concentration in every single step. A steep slope to the left of us and nothing on the right. This is what Wordsworth had to say about it:

"Cross, if you dare, where I shall cross--
Come on, and tread where I shall tread."
The other took him at his word,
And followed as he led.
It was a spot which you may see
If ever you to Langdale go;
Into a chasm a mighty block
Hath fallen, and made a bridge of rock:
The gulf is deep below;
And, in a basin black and small,
Receives a lofty waterfall.






13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful place, lovely pictures!! Glad you returned safe and sound :)

kat said...

The current issue of 'Lakes and Cumbria Today' describes The Langdales as an unforgettable experience....... rolling fells, craggy peaks, gravity defying cliffs, waterfalls and sparkling tarns..... The ghyll is a dark thunderous place.

"The loveliest rock-scenery, chased with silver waterfalls that I have ever set foot or heart upon." John Ruskin, 1867

Anonymous said...

Stunning scenery. Loved the Wordsworth

Anonymous said...

miss 'going on' these walks with u. the pics are very nice. better than the hazy days we have here in singapore :)

kat said...

boo - it was a bit of a hazy, mist day in the Lake District on Sunday but it cleared up a bit as the day progressed.

Missed you too.

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a gorgeous place for a walk (although it looks like a hike to me!) Thank you for sharing these photos.

Your son cracks me up :)

kat said...

Echo mouse. Well, yes, it was more of a hike than a walk but it is good to go out for the day and experience a change of scenery.

Anonymous said...

incredible pictures Kat :-)

Anonymous said...

incredible pictures Kat :-)

kat said...

Phil - It wasn't a very good day for taking photos but I like the picture of the ghyll... because some places are special.

Anonymous said...

Great pics! Looks like a post I would do :o)

kat said...

Dogga - Walking is or used to be my hobby and I am going to make sure I take it up again. I still haven't climbed Snowdonia but I will do. :-)

kat said...

ps - I like reading about the walks you do too.