As I walked toward the sink, I felt my foot sinking into something squishy. I could almost hear a squelching sound and thought that my toes must be stuck in butter or something. I soon realised that it couldn't be butter because part of it was moving and it was moving between my toes. I tried to scream but nothing would come out. I froze solid and tried to disown my foot but the stickiness wouldn't go away. The substance seemed to be setting and my toes were becoming glued together. Very muscle in my body became rigid but I knew that I had to pluck up the courage to switch the light on. I hopped over to the light switch with my foot as far away from my body as possible. I hit the switch and discovered that I had stood on a big fat green slug and that parts of it were sticking out between each of my toes. I wanted to cry but the tears wouldn't flow. My face must have looked so sad. I might have run wildly round the room shaking my foot but I didn't want to spread the bits of slug and slime all over the place. I really didn't know what to do with myself. I certainly wasn't going to wash my foot in the sink. Eventually, I filled up a bowl and took myself (and the slug) out into the garden. I am glad it wasn't cold last night - I had very few clothes on.
I went through a lot of emotions and once I had rid myself of the slug I felt very angry. The anger turned to guilt because I had killed the slug. But, you know, that slug had no business to be in my kitchen!
The goldfish was, by now, firing its gravel at the glass. All housebound fish have tanks but mine thinks its got a Sherman Tank.
I went back to bed but left the offending foot sticking out over the side. I still don't want anything to do with my right foot.
I need a pair of slippers.

11 comments:
eeeek! disgusting! Loved this post - I could feel the squish along with you!
Salty water is good to wash the slime off......
Argh….gross! Slugs and snails are the most disgusting things you can put your bare foot on. I get sick just thinking about it :)
Great post….. a lot of suspense :)
I feel very ill!
This piece should be developed for a Creative Writing course assignment as it has all the makings of a thrilling bit of story telling.
Where's me bucket?
Morning - This is as far as it is ever going to be developed. I've put it on here so that I can get it out of my system and forget it!! :-))))
Pal - You're telling me it was disgusting!
Dakota - Right up to the moment of switching on the light, I had high hopes that it was only a bit of jam.
Phew, I thought you had stepped on the goldfish as I read that. Are you sure its a 14 inch goldfish and not a shark?
Andre - It was sold to me as a goldfish but that was about 5 or 6 years ago when it was only a 1 - 2 inch nipper. I look at it and think I was perhaps conned but according to Wikipedia goldfish can grow to a maximum of 23 inches.
At first, I thought I may have stood on the fish but I knew it was far too solid to squish through my toes. In any case, it has a lid on its tank.
Goldfish usually grow to fit their space... plus, in the winter, their pond can freeze and they just go into hibernation, coming out when the thaw comes.
I have stepped on many slugs in my lifetime... on accident of course. In Washington, they "race" across roads and driveways in the early morning. I hate the feel of them squishing between my toes. But, thanks for your story.. brought back some interesting memories :)
Trod on a slug in the garden two weeks ago went I went out in the dark with no shoes on to lock the shed door. It left a lovely black stain on my foot for 2 days! Make me go goosey thinking about its squidgyness! I hate slugs more than I hate daddy long legs!
Oh daddy long legs are horrible! It is the time of the year for them too.
oh my God. This story scared the crap out of me because I thought your fish had jumped out of the tank and you stepped on HIM! Oh thank goodness it was a slug...sorry.
I had a giant Oscar with mucho personality and smarts like your goldfish and he jumped from his tank and died in the night. I cried and had to call in to work I was so devastated. Keep the lid tight on that baby!
Wendy - For a split second I thought it was the fish, so I had to put you all through the same anguish - Sorry about that. :-)
Post a Comment