My child is a visual spatial learner. I sent him to school at 4 and they told me that they thought he was a gifted child. The tests proved that he was 18 months to 2 years in advance of his years. ( For everything, even things that he is now considered to be weak in. ) One year later they tell me that he has a learning disability and it was all downhill from there really. He is now judged to be about 18 months to 2 years behind but that's a load of bollards. He struggles with classroom learning and he has had a great deal of difficulty in mixing with other children. The socialising bit is coming on a little now though. He is now 11 and will be attending a new special school come September and if that proves to be difficult I will take him out of the system altogether. Whatever he is going to do in life he won't be doing it at school and that is my acceptance of it. He doesn't have any difficulty in reading but he does have difficulty in making sense of what other people say to him.
Strange coincidence that you and I should be in communication then. I met Dolfrog at Watford and Three Rivers PCT HQ on Monday. We had both volunteered to be leaders in the Health Walking scheme. My own area would be North Watford, adding to the schemes here but I shall also assist a gentleman who will base his walks in Bricket Wood.
kat said... Thanks for your reply, dolfrog. When I get some time next week I am going to take a good look at your websites.
I am fed up of schools as far as my child is concerned. I remember being told way back that he could perform at level 5 for speech and communication but they couldn't mark him at that level because he couldn't do level 1. This is just typical of the sort of remarks and things I have had to put up with over the years. The system still wants him to achieve level one. I am not too unhappy because my child does a lot of learning in his own way at home. I don't interfere with it - I just give him the tools - Books, videos, internet access etc. He has a lot of stuff in his head but he doesn't see the need to write it down. I don't know what will happen when he grows up but he tells me not to worry about it, because he doesn't. What can you say to that? I am being a little unfair with my comment regarding schools because the very latter part of his primary school years have been spent in a wonderful school. They have been able to undo a lot of the damage done in the first one. I hope the new school comes up to scratch.
10 comments:
Please don't forget http://www.dolfrog.com/ too!
Oh, and I've just discovered http://capdlinks.homestead.com/UK_Resources.html and http://capdlinks.homestead.com/AA_index_ZZ.html which both use some beautiful imagery to lead you to the subject. (Sorry I've not figured out how this all links up yet)
I have updated the original post to include some of these.
Thanks Kat, what's your interest in APD?
My child is a visual spatial learner. I sent him to school at 4 and they told me that they thought he was a gifted child. The tests proved that he was 18 months to 2 years in advance of his years. ( For everything, even things that he is now considered to be weak in. ) One year later they tell me that he has a learning disability and it was all downhill from there really. He is now judged to be about 18 months to 2 years behind but that's a load of bollards.
He struggles with classroom learning and he has had a great deal of difficulty in mixing with other children. The socialising bit is coming on a little now though. He is now 11 and will be attending a new special school come September and if that proves to be difficult I will take him out of the system altogether.
Whatever he is going to do in life he won't be doing it at school and that is my acceptance of it. He doesn't have any difficulty in reading but he does have difficulty in making sense of what other people say to him.
Strange coincidence that you and I should be in communication then. I met Dolfrog at Watford and Three Rivers PCT HQ on Monday. We had both volunteered to be leaders in the Health Walking scheme. My own area would be North Watford, adding to the schemes here but I shall also assist a gentleman who will base his walks in Bricket Wood.
Great stuff! Enjoy the walks. I hope you will be posting about them on your blogg.
I am a fell walker. I walk in the Lake District, which is not too far from here. Watch my blogg for next months pics.
Not been in the Lakes for a few years now, Helvelyn and (is it?) Cat Bells were favourites.
Cat Bells is a nice gentle stroll up from Keswick. Helvellyn? Bet you didn't go up via Striding Edge - or did you?
kat said...
Thanks for your reply, dolfrog. When I get some time next week I am going to take a good look at your websites.
I am fed up of schools as far as my child is concerned. I remember being told way back that he could perform at level 5 for speech and communication but they couldn't mark him at that level because he couldn't do level 1. This is just typical of the sort of remarks and things I have had to put up with over the years. The system still wants him to achieve level one. I am not too unhappy because my child does a lot of learning in his own way at home. I don't interfere with it - I just give him the tools - Books, videos, internet access etc. He has a lot of stuff in his head but he doesn't see the need to write it down. I don't know what will happen when he grows up but he tells me not to worry about it, because he doesn't. What can you say to that?
I am being a little unfair with my comment regarding schools because the very latter part of his primary school years have been spent in a wonderful school. They have been able to undo a lot of the damage done in the first one. I hope the new school comes up to scratch.
Post a Comment