Friday, April 04, 2008

T189 Photography Feedback

I received the feedback this week. Whilst the comments are brief, I have nevertheless found the feedback to be very useful. The sheet includes tables showing any notable strengths or weaknesses of each image. The information confirms that my own judgement is reasonably sound, which in itself is worth a lot. Where I included a photograph to show control over depth of field I got a tick; where I included one to show colour or texture I got a tick etc. I am particularly pleased that a number of my photographs got ticks for appropriate exposure, sharpness, and focus. I am beginning to develop a real obsession about exposure - if you can't get the exposure right, you may as well not bother.

[I am, perhaps, taking things too far. I go out into my garden at different times of the day and in different light to take spot meter readings of the sky, the garage wall, the washing, the fence and the back of my hand. I am not taking any pictures - just metering the light. I find it fascinating. Should I get a life or buy a light meter? :-) ]

I only got one big fat cross.( Isn't is strange how crosses always look bigger and fatter than ticks.) This was for the background of one particular image. I knew that there was a problem with this image and should not have included it. Too late to do anything about it now, other than to promise myself that I won't include filler photographs in any future panels. The marker did not like this image and said that it was disappointing. He/she went on to say that the panel was helped by subsequent images.

I am told that I presented some strong images and the marker listed 5 which he or she especially liked as they were the most visually striking. I tackled a range of subjects.

................................................................

I could have done more to show different techniques but the ECA was presented in December and at that time I didn't have the experience and knowledge I have now, nor the time to take photographs or do the ECA as well as I may have wished. This was a ten week course. Ten weeks can come and go before you know it, and whilst it seems that there is plenty of time, there invariable isn't.

5 comments:

pal said...

Sounds like pretty good feedback - certainly expanded from what we had on the first presentation.

I think it was a really good course, one of those that gives you a sound grounding; that opens the door to the whole new world of photography - including your entirely umderstandable obsession with light! :-)

kat said...

Pal - I don't think everyone is entirely happy with their feedback - they want an essay and even then some of them would be likely to disagree with it.

I think T189 has attracted people who are not used to the format of OU short courses or in working independently - they want a tutor to depend on / blame. They are not convinced that peer review is enough. They want the right answers or confirmation from a tutor.

People are going to have to get their head around the fact that they are either going to have to have to take more responsibility for their own learning and become self critical or pay thousands of pounds. The costs of courses is rising steeply.

It would have been good if this course had been a full 30 pointer spread over the year, but think about the cost!

wintersolstice said...

well done kat! I agree with you about the importance of getting exposure right for any photograph.

Echomouse said...

Yeah, exposure is the bane of my existence. I keep trying. This is why I need a course.

What's ECA?

Congratulations on all of this Kat! Told ya you were good :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing well Kat!
Keep up the good work adn don't forget to post some of these shots for us to look at :]