I haven’t told many people this, but I am already on my second dslr. The first camera turned to dust. I don’t know how it happened but I got dust on its sensor. Dust which refused to shake itself off, despite the fact that the camera had a shake-it-all-about self-cleaning sensor. A mirror lock-up revealed a frightful sight – there appeared to be a smear of some kind on the sensor. I returned to the camera shop - wearing the saddest face you have ever seen. This worked a treat – they threw the camera under the counter and gave me a brand new one. I guess they don't want sad looking people in their shop – it puts all the other customers off. My new shiny camera is being treated with a great deal of respect. I change the lens inside a plastic bag! I’ve got over the fleeting ridiculous thought of taking the most useful general-purpose lens and super-gluing it to the front of the camera. (I’d probably get the glue on the sensor! ) Dust is a real threat with dslrs. When you remove a lens, the inside of the camera is open to the elements.
These cameras have another disadvantage: they are not the sort of camera you can carry around in your handbag or pocket. My little point and shoot is far from redundant and I am still using it.
A depressing sight: – Spot the dust spots.
11 comments:
Admire how you got the camera replaced, and have noted your experience with the dust on the sensor - up until now I had been (rather recklessly) changing lenses with the camera open to the elements. The OU course sounds interesting.
Wintersolstice - I was quite surprised by the replacement offer. When I went in the shop my biggest hope was that they would clean it!
Perhaps the smear was on the sensor in the first place - who knows. I feel that I have been treated very fairly - the shop will keep my custom.
I think the OU course will be brilliant - other people seem to have enjoyed it.
When we going to see some pics Kat?
Patience, Andre, patience. :-)
I'm still practising on the curtains, my own feet and the lampshade. :-)
Agree dust is a problem.
Wow. Had no idea. Glad I just use a point and shoot wee thing. I'm clearly not ready for more than that.
here's to shiny new cameras though!!
Good luck with the course - and the camera :-)
i dislike dust
Well done on getting the camera changed. I can imagine changing the lens inside a plastic bag! I worry about rain and have got a carrier bag in the camera bag just in case. The OU course should be good.
ooo, I am dead jealous! I so want to do that course...but first I need a new camera...no dust spots just insufficient megapixels for the course!
Of course if daughter hadn't left hers on the coach on her school trip in June I could have used that - that one did have enough megapixels! Only someone else is dishonestly benefiting from it now! Can't wait to hear more about the course Kat, and to see some of your piccies.
My apologies for the delay in relying to you all. I've had a lot on the go.
Jac - it certainly is / was.
Echomouse - there is nothing wrong with point and shot cameras and a lot to be said in their favour.
Pal - Thanks
Boo - me too apart from upsetting my camera it makes me sneeze like a cat.
Jeanne - I sure we will all enjoy the course. Good luck with it.
Tina - I think you only need a 2 megapixel camera. You should be able t o pick one up cheap these days. Have a go next time round.
Post a Comment