Monday, October 08, 2007

Martin Mere


birdshead
Originally uploaded by kathonflickr
Went to Martin Mere Wildlife Park last week. I took an 88 year-old lady with me - she was good company - happy to sit around watching the birds whilst I pretended to be a photographer. To be honest, I didn't get many good photographs, which is an amazing achievement when you consider that I filled two 1 gigabyte cards and completely flattened the camera's battery.

Camera shake - my biggest problem. Yes, I know I should use a tripod but I don't want to - not all the time anyway. I've got this camera so that I could take pictures of the countryside when I am out walking and I don't want to be lugging a tripod up the mountains. I need to find another solution.

Someone suggested a monopod, which is nothing more than a big stick with a screw on the top. I am all for experimenting so I bought one. There I was - walking round the wildlife park with my camera on a stick. It was useless. A big stick doesn't keep me still! - I was swaying on it.

I took something else with me - my old cherry-stone pillow ( The pillow I heat up in the microwave and balance on the top of my head when I have a migraine) . Now this was something of a success. All my best shots were taken with the camera resting on the pillow - with the self-timer switched on. There you go - the camera will take half decent pictures just so long as I don't touch it!

I ordered something else the other day - a GorillaPod. It should arrive as soon as this postal strike is over.

Next installment coming up soon: "The Curse of the GorillaPod", no doubt.

6 comments:

wintersolstice said...

A wonderful photograph which is beautifully framed. Martin Mere sounds a great location. I followed the kathonflickr link and really loved the inventive "mirrorball" shot.

Admire your innovative solution to camera shake. I am intrigued, what is a gorilla pod?

Andre Veloux said...

Good work Kat. Great photo.

Martin Mere is just up the road from where I grew up (Southport), though I think I only went there a couple of times.

kat said...

Winterolstice - I think Flickr must have framed it. The mirrorball was hard work. :-)
Ooooooooh, I will tell you all about the Gorillapod when I have played with it. Watch this space. :-)

Andre - Martin Mere is only a short journey for me but I am ashamed to say that was the first time I have ever visited it.

Echomouse said...

LOL it only takes photos when you touch it??? WTF kind of camera is that??!!

Here's to your genius idea of the pillow thing though. :)

Echomouse said...

drat! That should read... "when you DON'T touch it"

I have to stop commenting at night. Can't seem to type after dark.

kat said...

Echomouse - I knew what you meant.