Rambling Club - Sunday 12 August 2007Area - Hayfield, Derbyshire
Distance: Short walk - about 6 miles
Terrain: Steep in places
Weather: Wet
Circular walk from the village of Hayfield to the north tip of Kinder Reservoir and over Nab Brow.

This wasn’t one of the most enjoyable walks. A man-made reservoir does not have the natural beauty of a shore lined lake. I prefer to walk in Cumbria (Lakeland) - there are not many cows on the Lakeland fells. Some of you will know that I am scared of cows. It is okay to laugh - I don’t mind people laughing so long as they respect my fears when they are out walking with me. Unfortunately, one women on this ramble choose to be rude about it. I didn't, and still don't, understand her problem. If I choose to walk round a field rather than push my way through a herd of extra large, black, hairy cows with calves then that is entirely my business. I can walk through a field of cows, if absolutely necessary, but I need to be with understanding people and I need time to survey the area and make a mental note of any possible escape routes. I had a very frightening experience as a child. I had to fight off 4 fattened adolescent bulls and a young cow, with a hockey stick. They chased after us and tossed my baby brother into the air - about 4 or 5 times. My bull fighting days are over - I don’t want to mess with crazy animals.
As an adult, I thought I was getting over the fear of bulls and cows but another experience ( some years ago) set me back. I was training for a half marathon and running down a country lane. Unfortunately, there was a farm yard right around the corner and a whole herd of cows came out and started running after me. I thought I was going to be trampled to death. It was such a ridiculous situation. I couldn’t stop because the cows were behaving very unpredictably and there was nowhere for me to go. The cows caught up - some were in front, some at each side and some were behind. There was no way out. Two farm workers were at the back trying to stop the cows but they didn’t seem to realise that I was amongst the herd. What sort of a stupid situation is that? Running down a county lane with a herd of bloody cows!! Why the hell did they want to run with me? Someone must have telephoned the next farm - by the time we got there, they had set up a road block.
I can’t trust these animals. If I am too close to them or if they take me by surprise, I don’t see a passive dairy herd - I immediately see a herd of stampeding crazy animals. I don’t want to die in this way.
I want to go back to Cumbria - they keep sheep.
11 comments:
LOOOL - what is it with you an cows???
Frightening experience as a youth though!!!
They can be a bit scary at times, but I'm normally OK with them - A field full of horses makes me more nervous!
Dogga - I wouldn't go in a field full of horses either.
A field of cows, a field of horses - would you rather tackle these than be inside on a wonderful summer day?
Yes cows are scary, very big and very heavy.
Good little walk that, didn't look too sunny though. Hayfield that's not too far from where I used to live.
Pal - I would rather be outside without having to tackle cows. I couldn't do it at all on my own.
Andre - It was a very wet day but it brightened up a little in the afternoon.
LOLOL The last part of this post was hysterically funny. I know it wasn't for you but reading it...oh my God Kat! lol
Given your experience, I'd say you know better than the next person what cows are capable of and it's correct to be wary of them. Avoid the fields. I agree with you. It's a smart move.
You can win a half marathon still now, if the are chasing you from behind .LOL
I empathize completely. I'm petrified of bulls because a bull once got a bunch of cows to terrorize me. It was awful.
Echomouse - More people are injured by cows than people realise.
I can see the funny side of the run down the lane but at the time is was scary. The people who stopped the cows were shocked to find me in the herd.
jac - Being chased by cows is no way to win a race. :-)
zoom - I think it was the cow who encouraged the young bulls in my childhood drama.
cows are better as steaks. its been raining here as well *depressing*
I really do love cows, but then again, I never had to experience something like you. Boy, those are some scary stories! I hope your next walk is going to be more pleasant :-)
Post a Comment