I am. This isn't a revelation - I've always known it.
I survive job interviews by the skin of my teeth. There is always some kind of trauma attached to them.
I arrive in plenty of time and wait in the lounge. Suddenly, my throat closes up and I know that if I don't get a drink, I am not going to be able to make so much as a squeak. I approach the water machine and take a cup from the dispenser. The dispenser reacts with a greater than equal and opposite force and launches all the plastic cups, above the one I have taken, into the air. There were cups on the floor, cups on the tables, cups on the chairs, and cups on the settees. There must have been at least 50 cups spread throughout the lounge.
I felt so vulnerable. Imagine an interviewer walking in at this point. Should I die, disappear through a hole in the floor, run away or do something about it. I took the latter course but had to pull myself up. An interviewer walking in to catch me running round like a headless chicken would have been no better than an interviewer walking in to see me sat amongst a pile of plastic cups.
I managed to collect the cups and fix the dispenser. For all I know, I could have left the machine in a better condition than I found it!
When I was told that I would have to perform a task, I felt peeved - I thought I had already done one!
I am trying to reflect on the interview itself but I can't - I've blanked it. All I can see is the plastic cups in flight. I remember the interviewer's last question but that too causes me some distress. It is customary for an interviewer to ask if you have any questions. In my case they always say, 'Have you got any more questions?' I don't know I'm doing it; I can't help it. It just happens.
Oh what the hell! You got the job. Leave it alone!
Gawd - I hope they don't watch the security video.
Action points for the future - 1. Take your own bottled water and straw 2. Don't touch anything.
11 comments:
Hehehe. It's not just you though, I promise..
Tell me about it, this could just as easily have happened to me too :( I hate it.
I love your Kat Simpson though :-D!!
Hahaha, I'm not an incompetent person, but I am very human (AKA a monkey) and do this kind of thing all the time - don't worry about it - the fact you handled the situation is what counts!
P.S. If you do get a copy of the security video, be sure to send it on :0]
you crack me up. but i'm a mess in sterile corporate situations as well. heh.
Too funny!
So...did you get the job...or did I not read that correctly?
Echomouse - Yes, I got it but it isn't just one job - a variety of stuff really.
I can relate too. It's been a few years since I've gone on one but they can be brutal.
Good news about the job.
I like the new avatar, is this a glimspe of you Kat?
Kat, I used to be the same nervous wreck when I had to get up in front of all the Parents when I was running our Cub Scout Pack alone. I remember telling one parent that I wore slacks instead of the uniform shirt so noone could see my knees shaking.
Glad I no longer have to go for job interviews.
Glad you got the job and remember most of us make mistakes when we get nervous. Bet you can now laugh now when you think of those cups flying.
We'd all get on well together. Nice report Kat!
Congratulations Kat! And it sounds exactly like something I would do at a job interview.
Congratulations Kat! :)
Post a Comment