Saturday, May 13, 2006
My 12 year old is writing a book!
This is the biggest step in the history of the universe and however many spelling mistakes or whatever the content, Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaay - He is writing. He is not playing computer games, searching the net or watching documentaries, reading history books, watching James Bond / Dr Who movies or arguing with me over my politics or the lack of them - He is writing a book!
He is in his room, WRITTING. He thinks he is going to make his fortune and it isn't for me to bring him back to reality.
:-)
Gosh, this child is a worry. A very short history (The day to day stresses and anxieties have been removed):
Age 4 - He starts school and decides it is not the place for him. A big worry for me.
Age 5 - "Mummy, I don't want to go to school, I want to learn." Oh, how my heart sank.
5+ - "Why should I waste my time telling people what they already know. I want to learn."
Age 6 - 'Mummy, I worry about you sometimes. I want you to stop worrying about my grades because I don't."
Gulp.
Age 7- I don't want to write and I am not doing it.
That was the end of that. Many additional 'experts' entered the field but none of them seemed to have a clue. Worse still, there was a lot of conflicting advice and too many different approaches and attitudes. Some methods and attitudes were very harmful and caused him ( and me ) a great deal of stress.
Age 9 (6 months after starting at a new school) - I received a phone call from the school.
"Kath, did you know that your child has written to the local education authority complaining about the overall quality of his education and the provision."
"Eh, No!!. When? Where? What?"
We've received a copy and I'm sure you will get your own but would you like to see it today. It's very good. In fact, it is an excellent letter. He's written 2 pages containing some really good arguments. We've never managed to get more than 2 sentences from him. It's very official so please don't laugh. We've tried very hard not to but it is such a shock. It just goes to prove what he really can do. I bet the education authority have never received anything quite like it. I think they will have to send him a personal reply.
( This school had a excellent attitude to the overall wealth fare of my child )
Age 9 to 11 - The letter was a one off. No more writing or very little of it.
Age 12 - Starts at a new school.
Age 12 + - "I'm going to write a book." He started it this morning and he is still at it.
:- )))
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
he is too cute & very smart :)
wv: snkee (sneaky?)
As a believer of reincarnation I would guess you have a bit of a genius on your hands ;)
Great news for Mother's day though that he's writing!
Happy Mother's Day Kat :)
Is it Mother's day over there, EchoMouse? I didn't know that. We have Mother's Day in March.
Amazing, it looks as if your son is going to survive the education system without having his brains squashed out of him. Very few do, you should be proud :)
He is still writing his book but shortly after transferring some of it to the computer he came downstairs to see me . In a very serious manner -"Mum, is it alright to put it in a slightly bigger font."
"I've heard that one before sweetheart.It makes no difference to the word count."
:-)
Wow! Kat!
"Mummy, I don't want to go to school, I want to learn."
That's a pretty deep statment! Looks like you have interesting things in store with your Kiddo there....Kudos to him for writing that letter! Amazing!!
He struggles with some things. He has a very spiky profile.
One problem has been that he has always spoken well and used big words. In the past people expected him to write at the same level and it was too much - He couldn't. It is a bit of a bugger when his own mother has had to get the dictionary out just to understand what he was saying. :-) When many people see or read a word they don't understand they very often forget it, but not my son - He makes sure he starts using it.
Can you write your history too ?
Then let us decide if he is a surprise :):)
For me it is ... like mom like son. Am I right ??
soooo awesome! Please keep us posted on his progress.
Jac - No. My son knows all the countries, all the capitol cities and would recognise the national anthems- Personally, I do not understand why he wants all this stuff in his head. Like I say though he really struggles with some things and they are a problem for him. Whilst my son likes soaking up information I just like working through things. We are all different. History, geography and the like are not my subjects.
Wendy - I wouldn't expect anything too much from his book :-) - I'm just so pleased that he is at last willing to write.
We have discovered Lulu.com so if he keeps at it at least one person will buy his book - His mum. :-))
Jac - I didn't have a problem with the education system - Not as a child.
I do now though. :-)
That's great Kat. My oldest and his cousin write stories then sell them to neighbors. I am getting him set up with a web site too but he must learn how to do HTML first. Our 6 yr old has written a book or two also (he is influenced by Dylan). I, on the other hand, have not even read a book in years.
That's great too, Phil.
I would like to teach my son how to do html but unfortunately he has shown no interest whatsoever in building a website of his own. In any case he is very difficult to teach. Perhaps I should have another go. Last time I tried to teach him anything to do with IT he ran off with my laptop, changed the password and kept it. He has had it a few years now and if I am not careful he will be insisting on an upgrade. :-)
Selling books to the neighbours is a good idea. :-)
Your son sounds quite amazing! You must be a great mother. :)
I'd watch out though... he sounds incredibly bright. The smart ones always find the best ways to pull the best pranks when they get older! hehehe.
Hope he keeps the writing up! ;)
All the great writers had to start someplace, so your son just might surprise you and have his books published in the years to come if he keeps writing. I wish him the best.
my little brother decided to write a book when he was about 16 and I was impressed with that, but 12! now THAT is impressive. I hope you keep encouraging him, he sounds like a very smart cookie.
People are becoming a little concerned as to who is main characters are based on. I think I need to get a sneaky look at it.
:-)
Post a Comment