Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hornby Island Eagles

I've been watching a pair of nesting eagles for days and it is all getting very tense. When I say "I've been watching", I mean me, Echomouse and millions of others. It's difficult, sometimes, to get a look in on the server and the forums are very busy, but it is worth the effort of trying.

There were two eggs at first but one has disappeared - Possibly thrown out of the nest because it failed to hatch. The remaining egg has a crack in it but hopes of it hatching successfully are beginning to fade. Watching these eagles come and go, switching shifts and turning the eggs, is wonderful.





I'll have to go; the female is squawking.

Update: Echomouse has lots of information on her page - Thanks Echomouse.

10 comments:

jac said...

Marvelous !!

Echomouse said...

Hey, great screencap! I've been checking the boards this morning, hoping for new developments. So far, nothing bad but nothing new either.

I hope the egg hatches soon or our butts are going to be sooooo numb! lol

kat said...

It is a good screenshot but it isn't one of my own. I've collected pics from all over the place. If I can discover where I got this one from, I will let you know.

Buggles Balham High Road said...

This is lovely Kat. Thanks.

b o o said...

can't wait for them eggs to hatch :)

Dotm said...

interesting info. I never knew they turned the egg, or that they took turns.
I Learn something new every day.

kat said...

Unfortunately, the second egg has disappeared and it looks like there are no eaglets. See

report

The site has been drawing 10m hits per day.

kat said...

I've just looked in on the webcam and there are no eagles there at all now. No daddy eagle, no mummy eagle and no eaglets. That's it now. I'm not going to sit looking at an empty nest.
I spoke too soon. One of them has just flown back in and it is searching through all the nesting material. It doesn't seem to know what to do with itself. It's a tough world and nature can be a bit cruel.

Andrew said...

Hey! That's pretty cool! Is this a different nest now though? They seem to have healthy chicks here.

kat said...

Awwwwwwww. Thanks for that, Andy. I hadn't looked at the webcam recently.