At the start of this year, I said I would be going to Nepal but events seem to have conspired against me. I was beginning to think I wouldn't be going anywhere but the photocopier changed all that. It broke down last week and a colleague who I bump into on a Wednesday evening, in the photocopying room, asked if I fancied going on a cheap holiday with her. We booked it today but it wasn't so cheap.
It turned out that neither of us liked beach holidays, and as she isn't into climbing mountains or anything like that, we decided that a tour of Europe might be a good idea. The coach trips looked a bit gruelling so we booked a Baltic cruise. I've never been on a cruise liner - I'll have to get me a posh frock.
We will be visiting:
- Aarhus, Denmark
- Tallinn, Estonia
- St Petersburg, Russia
- Helsinki, Finland
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Warnemunde, Germany
- Copenhagen, Denmark
14 days - 20 th August until the 2nd September.

Can't help wandering if booking a cruise is a sign of advancing years but honestly I'd sooner walk than travel by coach. I think the two of us will get along okay - We managed to share a photocopier ( and break it ) without falling out. Although I'd never been anywhere with her before we also managed to get through, what turned out to be, a very gruelling day. Booking this holiday wasn't easy because we couldn't find what we wanted on the Net - Everything seemed to be booked up. We didn't get much joy at the travel agents either and ended up visiting quite a few of them before we found what we wanted.
On top of that, we got lost and couldn't find our way back to the car park. Unfortunately, my colleague who obviously hasn't got a sense of direction assumed that I had - Big mistake! By the time we got back to the car park a traffic warden was in the middle of writing out a ticket and insisted on issuing it. Six minutes over time. Six minutes!! As if that wasn't enough my friend's car wouldn't start and we had to call the AA. She was working this evening so I had to get my car and take her in.
I hope our ship doesn't sink.
9 comments:
i've not been on a cruise. enjoy, can't wait to see your pics :)
Sounds like a marvellous trip :)
Cruises are cooler than you think Kat. We've only done inland types of cruises on rivers, reservoirs, large lakes and canals rather than ocean ones and I never took a posh frock with me! Wonderful way to see lots of interesting countries without having to keep packing and unpacking your suitcase.
St Petersbug is a treat, although the river dock is scruffy. We hope to take a weekend city break in Tallin so might see you there?
All excited for you Kat!
The packing and unpacking involved in taking a coach tour is one of the reasons I wouldn't consider it.
PS. The ship's got Internet access. ;-)
We've just done the never unpacking the suitcase through Cuba but it was worth it Kat. A small island and seven hotels in fourteen nights but I've said to Morty that the next holiday I want to arrive somewhere, unpack and stay like that so it has to be a boat.
But of course essential - Internet access. I tried emailing in Cuba but each time I found an online computer in hotels, bars and cafes I was told to come back later as the connnection was slow or not working. So I gave up.
I did email from the Yangtze River in China while on the boat and my daughter got them all and I got her replies. I loved that.
We nearly opted for a holiday in Cuba. It was our third choice and we would have gone there if this cruise had been fully booked.
Our first choice, which included a trip round the Norwegian Fjords was, unfortunately, fully booked.
Wonderful choice, nothing better than a cruise, kat.
Fantastic destinations. You'll be able to Blog about it.
It sounds like a fabulous trip! All the stops are so interesting. Please do share your trip with us via your blog. But do it when you get back so you can enjoy yourself sans computer while on vacation ;)
p.s. For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you went to Nepal to buy a photocopier! lol
Post a Comment