Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When I was a little girl…

I was very fond of my grandmother and depended on her not only for my tea every weekday evening but also for the answers to life, the universe and everything. She died when I was in my early twenties.

This week I saw her again. Unfortunately, it was in the bloody mirror!

Frightening – absolutely terrifying! I have always wanted to believe that I was a forever young, unique person but the evidence and the truth were staring me right in the face - I am my grandmother.

7 comments:

francessa said...

Oh kat, I understand completely what you mean, I feel quite similar very often! Sometimes, I refuse to look in the mirror! Of course, this is just childish and repression, but sometimes, it helps. But how can we get older without feeling depressed or even shocked? As my friend Regina put it: "Those wrinkles are only outside, inside I'm still the same - that's so unfair!"

I think it's all about staying young inside and developping the art of coping with those annoying outside matters! A high art!

There's a quote by Marty Bucella: When it comes to staying young, a mind-lift beats a face-lift any day.

Wish you a great day!

kat said...

Francessa, I think we all hate getting older but I hadn't realised just how much I now look like me grandmother - in her younger days of course. :-)) When I first saw the reflection, I thought it was her!

francessa said...

Your grandmother seems to have been a great person, so don't be too terrified! :-)

Anonymous said...

LOOOL - WTF!!! :0)

That made me laugh - we all get like our elders, but please put up more of a I fight *sigh*

pal said...

Lol! You'd better get down the Botox Bar then :-)

kat said...

Dogoy and Pal - I need to spend a little more time on myself.

Echomouse said...

I know what you mean! the older I get, the more I see Mom staring back at me.

It helps that I loved Mom to pieces. Her personality was sunnier than mine so I'm hoping, with the aging looks, I start to grow her personality too :) lol