Friday, June 22, 2007

Yesterday

Approximately 18 months ago or is it 2 years - I dunno - it seems like an entire lifetime, my friend was told that she was dying. She was given 6 months but told that if she took the 5 month chemotherapy treatment she could, perhaps, get another 6 to 12 months. She went with that but the treatment was horrendous. I'm not going to go into how she had to walk around with a pump attached to her arm (athough in truth she was unable to walk around at all), I'm not going to tell you how it affected her family, how she ended up in hospital with blood poisioning, how her husband had to give up his job, - No! I am going to tell you what the hospital said to her yesterday:You were mis-diagnosed- You are not dying and the chemotherapy was completely unnecessary - (how my friend recounts it).

I've run out of words now.

10 comments:

Dakota said...

OMG! I am at a loss for words.....

(and although it is one of the worst things that can happen…it’s also great news too!)

Echomouse said...

Dear Lord, that is terrible. Horrendous.

I'm so sorry Kat. Will she be able to recover from all that? Have they offered any opinion on that?

I'll keep her and you in my thoughts.
((HUG))

kat said...

Dakota - I'm at a loss for words too.
Too difficult emotionally - should we all be happy or angry?


Echomouse - She'll recover - I know her - but she has been left with some unnecessary physical disablities.

Andre Veloux said...

I can't believe that story. Well she's going to be alright that's the good part, what the treatment has done to her that's another story. Incredible.

b o o said...

my best wishes to your friend and her family

kat said...

Andre - It is hard to believe, isn't it?.

She has been getting fitter and fitter since she refused further chemo.

I don't know why it took them so long to admit they had made a mistake. I hope they are right this time! She does have a cancer but it is manageable - via an injection.

Boo - thank you.

Anonymous said...

Both those things - finding out you have terminal cancer and then finding out you don't - must be profoundly life-altering events. I can't even imagine the impact, but I hope she finds a way to take something good out of it and use it to make the rest of her life even better.

(And, on a more pragmatic level, she might consider a lawsuit, given that there were so many direct consequences to her and her family as a result of the faulty diagnosis and treatment.)

Andre Veloux said...

I thought we were waiting for the 19th June Kat? That was a couple of weeks ago now, what are you doing, going a 3 week bender?

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! That is *speechless*

I would personally go and punch whoever diagnosed me, if that were me!
They should be dismaissed from their job.
I've got a friend who was repeatedly mis diagnosed when he had a life-threatening bowel / bladder cyst. Indigestion and cholic where the best two diagnosis :[]
He's fine now though!!! :)

kat said...

They say that what she has is very rare - so rare it isn't surprising that it was misdiagnosed. I think she will eventually make a claim but for now she is going through the hospital complaint system. It is all very strange - her condition is so rare it doesn't require any treatment???? She is trying to get on with her life now. Thank goodness she refused the second lot of treatment - I think it would have killed her.