Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Bluebell Hell

Last Saturday I made a trip to Spring Wood in Whalley. A friend had told me that the wood was carpeted with bluebells at this time of the year and that it is a popular location for photographers.

This was the first and last time I will ever head out to a popular photographic location. I wasn't prepared for it, and I found it mildly disturbing. Anyone would have thought that a massive sporting event was taking place. The car park was packed with cars and tripods, and I couldn't park up. If I had waited for a space and persisted with the idea of shooting these bluebells, I would have to have taken 6 or 7 shots just so that I could stack them together and mask out the photographers.

Silly me! I had planned a short relaxing walk through the woods but is wasn't to be.

Could there be a way round this? I wonder what bluebells look like when photographed at 2 am. When is the next full moon? Would anyone else be daft enough to visit the woods at 2 am?

6 comments:

pal said...

Sounds awful. The only time I've seen photographers en masse was in front of the stage at a concert and they were ushered off after about 10 minutes. Its not something you would expect in a bluebell wood that's for sure!

I did see another photographer at Caldicot Castle - we smiled sheepishly at each other as we walked round stalking our prey!

There are so many bluebells this year maybe you could still find a different nice quite bit of wood on your way back from work rather than the weekend, nice light then too as long as you are not working crazy hours!

pal said...

Urggggh that should be quiet of course! Its early!

Buggles Balham High Road said...

I hope you find a quiet bluebell wood somewhere Kat.

kat said...

Pal and Buggles - I don't usually mind coming across other photographers. I generally come home feeling wiser and inspired by the conversations but this didn't happen on Saturday. It felt like something I couldn't have dreamed up in a nightmare - The Day of the Tripods. People in the town seemed a little bemused by it all. One lady asked me if I knew what was going on in the woods.

I find it difficult to take photographs during the week as I can't always take my camera with me and,yes,I do work crazy hours.

I will be out and about this weekend though. The nature and close-up course starts on Saturday and I will be going to Coniston with the rambling club on Sunday.

pal said...

Ooooh Coniston, lovely. There used to be a web cam on the bridge in the village, give us a wave :-)

kat said...

Pal - I will be on the hills not in the village, but I think it is fair to say that we have never been known to skip the Sun Hotel - and I don't like breaking with tradition. :-)