Next course - Nature and Close-up Photography - Every Saturday in May.
Need to start work on this right away. I haven't got a super duper long lens so I have to sneak up on these tiny birds from behind. Not every shot works out, and I haven't managed to take the perfect shot, but I think my techniques are getting better. I am prepared to try almost anything, but I am not prepared to hang about in a hide wearing camouflage gear. I don't think we will be expected to do this on the course. :-)


10 comments:
I love those two photos, wonderful birds!
Thanks. :-)
You must creep up really quietly! These are great shots, really crisp.
Pal - the tails are not as sharp as they should be but if I had closed down the aperture I would not have got a good shutter speed - also I wanted the shallow dof.
Oh; they are glorious large and original on flickr. The feathers are amazing.
Now you have mentioned it I do see what you mean about the tail at that size but for me it doesn't really matter because the focal point is that bright beady eye which is very hypnotic and I have to say that I didn't notice till the close up scrutiny.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do as a result of this part of the course - do you think it might be Saturday trips to the zoo rather than creeping up on birds?
Yes, it will be trips to the zoo. I enjoy the courses because they force me to work on my photography and I meet others with the same interests.
Tried to creep up on a woodpecker today - see Flickr. No chance! Had to take the pic through a window.
Beautiful photos! But how close do you get and how long do you have to wait before the shot? I've even problems to get a half-decent photo (by my standards, of course, not yours) of a cat ;-)
Francessa - I was about 4 to 5 feet from these birds and I have learned not to waste too much time in waiting for the perfect shot. If you wait, they fly off. If I get close, or if the birds come close, I take the shot and hope for the best. I sometimes use continuous shooting mode and pick the best shot of the bunch, but the constant clatter of the shutter can frighten the birds off, so it isn't always the best approach.
I do try to frame the shot a bit but as I know I will be cropping anyway, it isn't quite as important. Getting the lens focused in time is the biggest problem for me.
Sometimes, I pick a spot and wait for something to land in it or walk into it - but it can be a long wait and I have to keep very still. I have more success with this method though, and it is fun because you never know what is going to turn up.
I wish I had a longer lens. I neeeeeeeeeeed a long lens.
This is very interesting, kat!
I'd love to take your photo while you're at it. ;-)
My son takes pleasure in photographing me, whilst I am crawling on the floor. I think he is making some kind of album. I hope it isn't on MSN or Facebook. :-)
Post a Comment