Preparation:
I put the sheet of acrylic on the bottom of the tent and lined the top and back with black velvet. I do not own any studio lights so I used an ordinary desk lamp with one of those blue daylight bulbs. I got the bulb from the art shop and it does a pretty good job. I am particularly pleased with the colours in the vase: they are true to life.

Exposure: 1 sec (1), Aperture: f/5, Focal Length: 36 mm,
ISO Speed:100, Exposure Bias: -1 EV, Flash: Flash did not fire

Exposure 0.5 sec (1/2), Aperture: f/4.5 ,Focal Length: 36 mm,
ISO Speed: 100, Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV, Flash: Flash did not fire
A short while ago, I purchased a Speedlite flash gun, and although I have had a go with it, I still need a lot of practice. I don't know what I am doing with it, but I am trying to follow general advice. The photographs below are my very first flash portraits. To take these photos, I sat the mother and baby by a window and put a gold reflector at the other side of them. I then bounced the flash off the ceiling. I've since read that it is better to bounce the flash off a wall, so that there is some modeling and a little shadow on the face. Next time I think I will use a white reflector rather than the gold. I used an old projector screen for the backdrop and hung some cheap black velvet over it for the first portrait.
I wish I had more time and more opportunities to take photographs. It seems an uphill struggle and I am never entirely happy with those I do take. I joined a camera club but I haven't had the time to participate in any of the activities. I feel a bit miffed about that - Life seems to be all work and no play.

7 comments:
Thanks for this fuller explanation :-)
Where do you get all your ideas for these technically highly proficient shots? I thought you must have been going to your camera club as they are so pucker.
You are streets ahead of me I have only just found the time (and courage) to shoot in raw which I now love.
Pal - I go along to the camera club (but I can't make it every week) and watch/listen to the judging and competitions. It is very interesting - and funny sometimes.:-)
I spend a little time playing with technical stuff and with the editing software at home but I don't get enough time to go out and take any flipping photographs. A few months back I took to going out on the streets at night with a tripod but I was getting strange looks.
I do need to get out and practice more - preferably during the day.
I joined the camera club online forum today so maybe that will encourage me to make more time for it all. They organize outings.
I am not streets ahead of you. You take lovely photographs.
Winter is always a tricky time. The lighter evenings will help you, until then keep playing, these shots are stunning. :-)
Wow! I've been missing out on your blog, but then I saw you haven't been updating so much recently.
Anyway, this is impressive stuff. I love it. Well done Kat and Happy New Year to you to.
Thanks Andre, I've a long way to go but I am getting better at it.
I love the mother and baby shot with the black background - it works really well with her black top.
Thanks, Snowqueen. Opinions seem to be divided. Some people like the black background;others prefer the white.
Post a Comment