Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Grrrr and Grrrr again to Microsoft

Microsoft would do well to stop treating all its customs as if they were possible software thieves.

Last night's update no. KB951748 has prevented many people from accessing the Internet and Microsoft are not prepared to help you find a way round this unless you give them all your installation details and the colour of your knickers. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to get on the Internet before I discovered the cause of the problem. The update conflicts with the ZoneAlarm firewall. You would have thought that a firm like Microsoft, who are well aware of the problem, would be prepared to give out some general helpful information. Are they going to issue a new update to fix this or should we uninstall the update? Will we need to rely on the makers of ZoneAlarm?

If you have had problems and you live in the UK give them a ring on 08706010100 and tell them what you think of their latest update!!


Update to post:
see www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221138/microsoft-fix-kills-web

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's been a big update due to flaw in the Internet they say they've found. I guess the patch was to do with that, as my PC did a big patch today, but I can still access the net.
I don't use zonealarm though! :]

kat said...

Dogboy, My service provider told me that the problem had been caused by the Microsoft update - they gave me the phone number and asked me to ring them. I was not impressed by Microsoft's attitude. I lost a couple of hours paid work this morning and if they had said it was an issue they were working on ( they wouldn't admit that there was an issue at first) and given some general advice I would not be so cross about it. I didn't need their help once I knew what the problem was but I rang them anyway - just to see what they had to say. :-)

kat said...

The questions they asked me before answering a general question were ridiculous. If my software wasn't genuine it would not have taken their destructive update!!

Anonymous said...

Computers are a nightmare Kat - I've wasted MANY hours fixing them.

The last one I fixed was a friend's new Vista laptop which was stuck in a cycle of saying it's updating 1 of 3 and then not getting past 0% and restarting, over and over and over again and it could not be stopped.
It was a known Windows problem, but I got my friend to format his hard-disk in the end and reinstall everything. It worked, but what a game! :[ GRRR to Microsoft indeed

kat said...

It didn't help that I had lost Internet access at a place of work too - but that because they hadn't paid the bill!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for this Kat - I thought it may have been my ISP who was at fault, as they have been updating over the last 24-48 hours. Hadn't thought of contacting Microsoft, but have now uninstalled this update, and my computer seems fine again.
Thanks again.

pal said...

Apparently ZA are saying to uninstall the MS update.

Is this a case of Microsoft trying to boost its own security software? Along the lines of use ours and you wont gt problems?

kat said...

anon - glad you have got it sorted.

Pal - Makes you wonder doesn't it? It seems they didn't bother to inform or warn the firewall companies about the update.

kat said...

A new version of ZA has been released. This works with the update.

Echomouse said...

It downloaded automatically to my desktop computer. It took me a few hours to realize that was the problem. I did a system restore to the day before that update installation and all went back to normal.

I don't care about Microsoft's malicious software removal update. My computer doesn't need to think for me. So I'm not installing that thing.

It tried to get my laptop too but I nixed that!

Anonymous said...

Ah so that's it - my daughter's internet connection stopped and I couldn't figure out why. It came back when I disabled Zone Alarm (which I hate, her dad put it on) and I couldn't work out why.

I've disabled my automatic updates because they take up so much bloody room!