Sunday, June 01, 2008

Hello Blog!

Prompted by the cartoon on Nogbad’s page - feeling a little guilty about my half abandoned blog.

Although I haven’t been updating my blog on a regular basis, I have thought a lot about it in the last few months. I have also considered bringing it to a close but why should I? I can’t imagine being blogless and at least it is here if I want it. Also I don't want to lose touch with the people I have met through blogging.

There are a number of issues I would like to have discussed on my blog but for various reasons I have not done so.

This government seems hell-bent on destroying education as we know it and I could or, perhaps, should have blogged about this particular issue. Why haven’t I? For my own sanity. I feared that I would self-combust. The government want to prevent us from taking equivalent or lower qualifications - by refusing to fund them. How utterly stupid is this? The world is a changing place and people need to keep themselves up to date, widen their knowledge and re-skill. Additionally, a wider education is far more important than a one-track route to a single summit. Education is not just for employment purposes. It’s about personal achievement and social justice. People who have the chance to learn and widen their knowledge inevitably make better employees and more responsible citizens. They innovate and they help others. I am trying to remain calm in the knowledge that common sense will eventually prevail. It will. It will have to. If it doesn’t, the world will could come to a halt for some.

‘The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. ’

Of course, those you really want to learn will do so despite the government. The policies do not, however, encourage those in need of a little direction or motivation, or help those who need new qualifications plus the necessary bit of paper.

I have been very busy of late and this is another reason why I have not regularly up-dated my blog. No time for self-indulgence. During the little available time, I have tried to work on my photography. I have taken to going out on my own with my equipment. This doesn’t mean being on my own - I meet plenty of interesting people along the way. Yesterday, I decided I wanted to get a photo of a tiger so I took myself off to the zoo. I got a picture but I think the tiger was very bored with it all. It was good to see young children taking photographs and sharing their knowledge. I had to look at a number of LCD screens. :-)

PS. I'm not sure that I am happy with wild animals being caged up but I wouldn't like the tiger to roam free in my part of town.


IMG_37112

IMG_3636

IMG_3519

11 comments:

b o o said...

Hey kat. How are you?
I feel the same about my blog but have not yet decided on what to do.

pal said...

I'll join the club.

I could never abandon my blog, but I have been guilty of some very lazy blogging for quite some while now, which very nearly amounts to the same thing .....

kat said...

Hi Boo, It is nice to hear from you and I am glad that you haven't disappeared from the blogosphere. Don't give up your blog completely - just blog when you feel like it.

Pal - I think that a blog should be there when you want it or when you can think of something to say but it shouldn't be a chore. We could put our photos on them from time to time - with a bit of a write up. Let's keep them going. I am going to get rid of those daffodils sometime soon - I am so bored with them.

wintersolstice said...

kat - glad you will keep returning to your blog, it is always interesting, and the photography great. Well done on your passionate defence of education as something that should be liberating and open to all.

kat said...

Wintersolstice - I'm still working on the photography but wish I had a little more time available for it.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog Kat, it's always thought provoking and often makes me laugh out loud.

Hope you keep on blogging

Andre Veloux said...

Nice post Kat. We all think what's the point about blogs every now and then, just update it when you feel like. We all have plenty of other priorities.

Education in the UK? I think the years 1990-2000 really took the stuffing out of it. Well higher education anyway. I've been out of it (education) since 2002 so it sounds like it's still getting worse.

kat said...

Hello ozziediesel,

Welcome to my blog.

Andre, I think I will have more time to blog once I get myself a work / life balance.

Echomouse said...

Keep the blog here but don't feel pressured to post. But at least you can still keep in touch with us by visiting our blogs? When you have time I mean.

Beauty photos :)

kat said...

Hi Echomouse,

I think I will make the effort to update it as least twice per month.

jac said...

You bet he is bored !